In/Out points keep moving on me!

MatthewC

Well-known member
I'm extremely confused.

I'm currently trimming clips in the Monitor window, selecting my In and Out point, then insterting into the the Timeline.

But it seems to not keep the correct In and Out points. Ill set an In point, go to the Outpoint, then go back to the In point and its not on the frame where I left it.

Also, I can move frames with the keyboards, look at a frame, go forward a bit, then back, and that frame number has a different picture. I'm trying to sync up this clip from where it exactly was cut into the timeline before and the ****ing In point keeps changing so I cannot get it to line up. Help?

EDIT: Okay, it keeps the same timecode as the In point, but the frame has changed whenever I go back to the In point. ???



Also, anyway to simply just delete the current frame from a video clip in the timeline?

Thanks in advance.
 
are you trying to set an out point at the very end of a clip. I have found some sort of bug that when I scrub all the way to the end of a clip in the preview monitor, I am not actuallyat the end. If i use the arrow keys, I can still move a few frames forward... then the timecode changes too, its quite a mess
 
hmm...never had something like that happen to me. how are you setting the in/out points.. are you just clicking the little in or out point button? are your project settings set up correctly to match the vids file properties? anyway, if its just off by a frame or something, have you tried just dragging it to the timeline and then trimming it there? if your using your keyboard to do the trim.. try using your mouse.. there may be a key or somthing that your hitting which is nudging the video in the trim window or something.
 
Mathew - you say you are "trimming in the Monitor Window" then inserting to the timeline. I assume you are talking about the Program Monitor ( ?)

Not sure why you are doing that but you should try and set in and out points in the Source window then insert or overlay to the timeline.
 
Yeah, sorry, I am doing it in the Program window. I'm just taking one long clip and editing the in and out point, then dragging it into the timeline.

Also, anyway I can get an in and out point in the Source window, then create the select part as a new clip in media library?
 
Mathew - you need to use the source window to send in and out points to the timeline. That why it is called source. The Program window only shows what is already in the Program ( ie The timeline)

To create a new media clip from part of a bigger clip. Drag the 'big clip" to the Source Monitor. Set in and out points and Insert or overlay that to the timeline. Then make the work area bar cover that selection and export 'Work Area" (NOT Entire Project) as a new clip name. This can be done lossless if you use the correct settings (eg DV AVI)
 
****, my bad. I meant I'm doing this in the Source window, not the Program window. My bad, not thinking straight. I just dont understand why it jumps around like that.


Thx for the export info there for a new clip.
 
OK - now thats established.

You set an In point and then an out point in the Source window then when you return to the IN point you are saying it is not the same frame that you set ?

How are you getting back to check the In point and in what window ?

When you send the marked clip to the timeline, are the frames correct (as marked) ?

Are you using Timecode and is is accurate to the original material TC ?
 
I honestly don't know about the timecode. I'm using AMCAP to capture the video using an analog source.

I'm getting back to the In and Out points but click the JUMP TO IN and JUMP TO OUT. I'll even look at the frame number, go 3 frames to the right using the keyboard, and then go back, and it's not the same frame it was a second ago. No, when I send it to the timeline it will be like I had gone a few frames away and gone back it's not correct anymore. So it never gives me the right frame into the timeline. That's also why I'm wondering if theres a way to simply just delect the current frame your viewing in the timeline.

Thanks.
 
OK - that should not happen and you should not need a workaround.

What sort of files are you capturing from the analogue material ? Codec ? Project Settings ?

You are not capturing and editing mpeg are you ? PremPro is a DV based NLE and functions best with DV based media clips.


No - you will not have timecode (BTW)
 
I'm using AMCAP and capturing is as uncompressed video, then using VirtualDubMod to convert to Windows Media Video 9, then importing into Adobe Premiere. My frames per second is set at 23 and 320x240 resolution.

The thing I found would be best is if I could delete the currently seen frame in the Program Window, so that if its not the right frame I can just delete the frames until it is the right one. No way to do that aye?
 
Kind of weird fps if you are running the project as - 23 fps ? Very non standard and it would require some computing for the NLE to sort it out. Maybe source of your problem.

What frame rate is the analogue video original ?

Why are you editing WMV ?

Suggest you might be better editing uncompressed video and exporting WMV 320 x 240.
 
I only have a 40 GB harddive with not much free room. Most of my projects are small and for fun, so I convert to WMV and delete the big original file. I'll double check my capture settings.
 
Back
Top