If some dude came up to you and offered you...

If it was a reputable source, and I had the extra $3K at the time, sure ... even if I couldn't afford the P2 cards at the time, I could still use it just like the DVX100a in the meantime with minDV tape.

However, I'll probably wait at LEAST 6 months or more before getting a HVX. I don't want to be one of the first owners at the highest price, only to have Panasonic come out with an "a" version soon after that's had other improvements due to film maker feedback ... not to mention possibly be a little less in cost.

In addition to that waiting period, costs for P2 cards should drop significantly ... oh, not to mention having to upgrade my system to handle the full HVX potential.

Bottom line, an HVX for me will likely cost well in excess of $10K because of all the other upgrades equipment I'd have to get ... so my next purchase will likely be a 2nd DVX100a.
 
But the HVX is such a sweet sweet machine. The upgrades from the DVX100 to the 100a were huge, I wonder if they will be the same for the HVX, honestly though, I can't see Panasonc upgrading the HVX until 1st quarter 2007
 
When the DVX came out it BLEW the market/industry away with all that it offered over others in it's class ... the HVX is doing the same, but there's always room for upgrades/improvements ... if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure the DVX100a came out less than a year later after the release of the DVX100.

Bottom line for me, I don't really have much need for the HVX yet since I'm not doing transferring out to film, and the average consumer won't have HD DVDs for several years still. Just IMHO.
 
You're right Norm, I keep flipping the coin in my head on this one. For the longest time since I bought my DVX back in May, I just planned on shooting everything on it and pretending like HD didn't exist until a few years slipped by and technology/prices came down, improved. Then I said, damn son! I neeedz HD and I neeeedz and HVX but then I snapped to my senses and said no, I'm fine with what I have, but then I went back, and forth, and back and forth. I figure if I'm going to hawk my DVX100a in hopes of putting that money towards an HVX, I should do it no later than October to get the best possible used price for it. I anticipate DVX100as, used, will be less the closer we approach the HVX and the 100B release - I really dont need HD but the thought of having it tingles my eyeballs, just imagine all that extra clarity and color information, and 16:9 - but hot damn, I did spend $3100 on a perfectly good DVX
 
I don't need it either. Im sure it will kick ass but I don;t forsee many Filmouts in my immediate future
 
For me, the biggest consideration on my next purchase (DVX100b or HVX200) is to hope that it can perfectly match my existing DVX100a's footage ... the last thing I want is to get another camera that makes my existing 100a obsolete ... I want it to compliment & work in harmony with whatever else I get in the future.

I'm not Mr. Money Bags & $3,500 (plus accessories) is a lot to just throw to the side for a newer & better toy.
 
I think ultimately, even if it has rockin ass DVX style footage but in higher definition...

I still can't do it.

too much MULA for me at this point. Curugon? Rich Lee? Yeah......

Me? Naaawww.
 
Back
Top