Ideas please..

jinks

Well-known member
Hi everyone. I would like to start shooting some kind of travel documentary for a tv station abroad that contacted me. The idea is to highlight different cities here in the US, from their attractions, way of life, economic activities, short interviews with the locals and anything else interesting. The problem is, I have never done this kind of work before but I do have most of the equipment to start. I will mostly be a one man crew.
Which is the best way to research and collect information on a given city besides their website? Do I need special permits to walk around and shoot video? if so, what local offices usually issue these permits? Do I also need special contracts for people to sign if I'm just pointing and shooting say in a restaurant or a busy street?

What's generally the best approach to doing this kind of work? I want it be simple, practical and cost effectictive since I will be travelling to numerous cities and I want it to be profitable too. I want a simple system that I will use once and be able to duplicate everywhere else I go. I do undersand that there's not a one fix solution, becoz it's all about creativity. BUT i'm hoping that someone may have some practical methods for a newbie like me.
What are some of the interesting questions that you could ask the locals? I want to be able film everyday lifestyle but tell it in a narrative way that's intersting to the viewers.

Any suggestions and help will be highly appreciated.
 
Most cities have a book telling all the "secret" best things to do in a city. I would start there (amazon.com or whatever). Next most cities also have a bureau of tourism, give them a call or check their website.

What sort of permits are required for shooting on city streets varies from city to city. So you have to check with whatever city you are shooting in. Shooting in private business obviously requires their permission. Don't assume they will give it; call ahead and get a contract signed. Also don't forget to get releases signed by any man on the street interviews you do.

I would guess you can probably find a DVXuser it just about every major US city. Don't forget to use the guys (and gals) in here as a resource.

Good luck
 
Thanks Wabbit. Im open to work with anyone willing to jump on. Ahhh... the releases, I didn't even think of those. Do you have any suggestions or a draft on what the release should look like?
Thank you.
 
A film reccomendation for you

A film reccomendation for you

You should check out the old film: Berlin, Symphony of a Great City. In some ways it's the definitive city documentary. Yes it's old but you will still pickup some ideas/inspiration/guidance from it that will be useful to you.

Also there is a book, I can't think of the exact title, but it's somethign like "Forms and Contracts for the Motion Picture and Television Industries" that has not only release forms but every other damn thing you could imagine. You can scan the forms, modify them, and use them as your own. Quite useful.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck!
 
jinks said:
Thanks Wabbit. Im open to work with anyone willing to jump on. Ahhh... the releases, I didn't even think of those. Do you have any suggestions or a draft on what the release should look like?
Thank you.

There are a plenty of release samples out there - type for exapmple 'video interview release' or 'personal release form' on google

Anyways, here are some
http://www.iffyntx.com/downloads/PERSONAL RELEASE.pdf
www.sawvideo.com/youth/downloads/RELEASE FORM.doc
http://www.newpaltz.edu/sponsored_programs/videorelease.pdf

Timmy
 
I think the most important thing is first develop a theme. Do you want to make is serious, funny, artsy, historical, etc.

I like Rick Steves travelogues, and apparently do many others.

http://www.ricksteves.com/

Its very basic, but he is on camera generally upbeat on everything - thats what you want out of this show. Everytime I watch his show I want to go to Italy, Rome or wherever. And thats the point, your shows are intended to attract people to these places. Hence develop a pleasing theme that will go through all of the shows. Without a theme, it will be very bland.

Watch a bunch of travelogues and see what appeal to you the most. Take notes. Classic Warren Millers ski movies were mostly NOT shot by him, he purchased the film from stringers and he narrated.

And whats your budget ? Is it mostly on spec or you have unlimited funds ? Though books are good, videos/film on each city are important to watch to see visuals of each city.

Once you figure your budget and theme, do a lot of planning. Can you hire DVX users here for shooting ? THis site is a great resource. That would make traveling a lot easier.

You could go a bunch of different ways with it. Make it creative and from your soul - then maybe a movie studio exec may see it and hire you for a feature film !

Good luck. . .

PS. Sounds like a great gig, especially if it pays well. . . . .
 
Last edited:
Back
Top