I would really appreciate some comment on my 5 min short script

Huy Vu

Veteran
So I'm planning ahead for a film festival that I'll be entering sometime in August/September. Here's a story that I'm developing. The rule is that the film must be completed in a week and be a maximum of 5 minutes. Any comment/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

There are two main characters, Kenny and Matt, both college students (probably majoring in chemistry). Kenny is the smart, studious kid and Matt is the lazy screw up who always barely manage to pass his classes. Yet they are fairly close friends.

The story begins when Kenny receives a desperate phone call from Matt demanding that they meet. When they do meet, Matt confesses to Kenny that during the last final exam he has copied Kenny's test. However the TA who is grading the exam has found out that something is wrong and it is only a matter of time before Matt is busted. Getting a zero and failing the class is not Matt's biggest concern however. It turns out that a copy of the exam key went missing from the TA's office the day before the exam, and now not only is Matt suspected of cheating, he is in danger of being expelled for stealing as well.

Matt tells Kenny (via flashback) that he was indeed at the TA's office hour and he did saw the exam key on the table while the TA was out of the room. However after some hesitation Matt decides to not touch the key and he simply leaves.

Matt then begs Kenny to lie for him by testifying to the TA that he (Kenny) went to office hour after Matt left and that the exam key was still there by that time. Kenny agrees.

We then see Kenny alone in his room, thinking. He takes out several pieces of paper stapled together and shred/burn them. As they are destroyed, we see on top the words (Class) Final Exam Key Fall 2006.

Then revealed through a flashback is an alternate version of Matt's story, this time from Kenny's POV. It turns out that Kenny was indeed there at office hour right after Matt left, although Matt did not see him. Kenny was in the office briefly before he notices the exam key lying on the table, which he stole after some hesitation. In fact, as Kenny exits he almost had a run in with Matt by the elevator, as Matt decides to call Kenny and the phone ringing almost gives him away (this event will be in Matt's flashback too, of course, although shot from his POV).

The next day, when the TA questions them both, Kenny outright lies and tries to implicate Matt in the theft. Matt is dumbfounded until someone calls Kenny and he recognizes the ringtone that he heard that day by the elevator. Matt flies into a rage and tries to tackle Kenny, but is stopped by the TA and removed from the room.

Then just as Kenny was about to triumphantly exit the room, the TA calls him back. It turns out that there was an error in the exam key itself, and during grading only Kenny's and Matt's exams contains exactly the same error in the answer. This is an event that cannot be explained unless Kenny and Matt somehow had access to the key. The TA asks "You wouldn't happen to know anything about this...would you?" and we fade to black on Kenny's stunned expression.


Yeah, that was a long post, but if you guys can give me some feedback I would really appreciate it.
 
Alright, as promised I'll give you the comments - lol..ransom...

Anyway, imho, I feel that its a bit much content to fit into a film that has to be 5 mins flat. The stuff you wrote sounds more like it'll fit nicely into 10 mins, rather than the aforementioned 5. The concept is an interesting one, and i *think* it'll score well at film fests, if executed well. (btw, is this a drama or a comedy? because the concept looks like it could work as either genre...personally i prefer comedies:D).

Now for the nitty gritty comments:
'We then see Kenny alone in his room, thinking. He takes out several pieces of paper stapled together and shred/burn them. As they are destroyed, we see on top the words (Class) Final Exam Key Fall 2006.'
Putting it there seems like an early giveaway to the plot...I feel that you should either obscure the words like maybe just 'Final Exam' or you do not show the identity of the person burning it, as you're more or less revealing the ending at the middle of the film.

The playing of the various versions of the story from each character's point of view is a nice way to tell the story, but also rather time consuming - do you have that much time to spare in only 5 minutes? Basically my biggest concern with your idea is fitting everything into a meagre 5 minutes. Character development - true, only rudimentary character development is allowed in any short film, however you will have to establish that kenny is the nerd, and matthew is the jock. Combine this with the several points of view from each character, and you'll be really really pressed for time imho.

Theres alot of information that you will need to disclose to the viewer, and i just dont think you'll have the time to do that in 5 minutes(I might be wrong, as I'm rather new to video production myself. However, its just a gut feeling - maybe a more experienced playa might be able to share some wisdom. In my project, I'm estimating it to last about 8 minutes altogether).

The above being said, I still think the plot is unusual, and too good to pass up. I'd suggest either somehow shortening it for the 5 min short film/using a new concept altogether thats just right for 5 mins, and leave the plot for other film festivals that are more liberal with timing.

Anyhu, I hope the comments i've given will help you - DONT TAKE ANYTHING NEGATIVELY! I think its a cool and interesting plot, and i'd love to see it on screen. I just feel that your biggest problem would be the time frame you have to work with. However, maybe I'm not seeing the big picture or something...feel free to clarify any of the points i've mentioned above:D(dont know how that fits, but its the only emoticon shortcut i know...other than :()

Thanks, Mal
 
So it's a synopsis, not a script. Okay I totally agree with Mal. This is way longer than 5 mins.

revealing the ending at the middle of the film
This might work in a Hitchcockian way. Give the audience some inside information and let them squirm with your protagonist.

I also don't believe in the lazy kid being a chemistry major. I'd make them both sophomores still trudging through one of their gen ed courses. Make lazy boy a phys-ed major - for that matter maybe he's so lazy he hasn't picked a major.

You really need to write the script to give you a better idea of how long it will be. One page being equal to one minute of screen time. This may work over a 120 page script but don't make the same mistake I did. Five pages is too small a number to fiddle with. A page with lots of action maybe 1:30, a page with mostly dialog could be as short as 20 seconds.

I would suggest you write the script out in it's proper format and do a table read.
 
Last edited:
R!ff R4ff said:
So it's a synopsis, not a script. Okay I totally agree with Mal. This is way longer than 5 mins.


I also don't believe in the lazy kid being a chemistry major. I'd make them both sophomores still trudging through one of their gen ed courses. Make lazy boy a phys-ed major - for that matter maybe he's so lazy he hasn't picked a major.

I would suggest you write the script out in it's proper format and do a table read.

I actually have wrote a script but I still need to format it into the proper form since I wrote it on Word:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG). Actually their major have very little impact on the story itself except that I need to decide what class they were taking the exam for. I'm hoping to streamline the story and fit it into 5 minute. If you would like to take a look at the script please let me know.

EDIT: It turns out that the script in proper form was 5 pages exactly. This is still cutting it too close so I would appreciate any suggestion to trim it down further.
 
Last edited:
Yeah that's the same trap I fell into when I did my first five minute contest. I cut the wording down to get it under 5. Horrible mistake, had to cut stuff weird and it never did make any sense until gave up and cut it for eight minutes.

I'd get some peeps together and perform the thing in your living room. Just do a dry run and time it with a stop watch. That will get you in the right ballpark. Trying to figure out timing on something this short using just the page count is not a good idea.

Sure I'll have a gander at the script, always happy to help any way I can. I get so much from this board.
 
Back
Top