I won something :)

scharky

Veteran
So I got todays issue of Popular Photography, and my wife comes running in the door going "look look!". I had completely forgotten that I had a photo entered in their 12th annual picture contest. I won first prize in the creative/fine arts catagory. It's weird to see something you did in print :)
 
Here is the photo that won.
awake3.jpg
 
THanks everyone. I wish you could see the full print, we have a rad Epson 9600 that I printed on, with this beautiful semimatte paper, at 40x40inches, it really brings the print to life, but I guess 768x768px is ok :)
 
Sure
It was shot with a Pentax 645 Medium format, with a 45mm lens at F 2.8, don't remember the shutter speed. The subject was later photographed at my house with two britek hot lights, with softboxes, while he was balancing on the stool. The film was scaned on an Imacon virtual drum scanner It was later composited in Photoshop CS or CS2, don't remember which. I then went in and added hand drawn elements as well as texturing using a wacom tablet. The whole process, took between 25 and 30hrs. I have a series of 6 of these "Awake" photographs.
Hope that helps you guys out. Film still rocks :).
 
oh man, that's an awesome pic!!! I love it... It's my new desktop image! hehehe

What is it for? You mentioned a dvd or something like that? And there's other pics like this?

tell, tell, tell... hehe
 
Yeah, the series of photos are on the AWAKE Dvd as well. you can click on each image to do a little zoom pass through of each photo. click the link above my signature, it will give you more details on the Awake DVD.

I hope you enjoy it Neil. I tried to put as much worthy content on that disc as I could.
 
Very cool! I just got my copy of Pop Photo in the mail today and I was paging through the contest winners wondering why there was so much crap and then I saw your image and thought--this really stands out as a nice piece of work. This guy must be a pro that does editorial photo illustration. Kudos to you for your great image and getting a well-deserved 1st place.
 
Congratulations!!! Your photo is great. After seeing the others that were also winners in the various categories this year, you should really be proud of yourself.
You did a marvelous job.
 
Back
Top