I want to make a feature film all in one location.

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Maybe one of his ideas will finally become a reality.


:D :D :D
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Kind of like a Twilight Zone episode where it turns out these two belong to a giant goldfish...
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

If you really want to make this movie you need to write it yourself, or find a writer that is willing to take this project on from start to finish. The type of film your talking about requires a CHARACTER-DRIVEN SCREENPLAY.
If you want to write it yourself then you need to start with a basic question, then start writing your characters. Just talk like them. Have them write notes back and forth. Alot of writing you are going to throw out later, most of which wont make it into your play. Once you know who your characters are the screenplay will write itself.

I've read alot of screewriting books over the years and I'm of the opinion that most of them do more harm to a writer than good. But I definatly recommend the following book, expecially for the kind of film your concidering making:

Screenwriting From The Heart
by James Ryan.

Good Luck!
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

I have a suggestion, but it doesn't exactly fall in line with what has been happening up to now. If the building they're in were a metaphor for Eden, and the male and female, Adam and Eve, perhaps they could do something that they're not supposed to do, which alters their reality. What if both characters were still in the building, but can no longer see one another.

Then you have two characters who have motivation to try to get the other back, and two different driving actions.

It could be suspenseful in a surreal sort of way, because the partner would be able to hear bumps and creaks of the missing partner moving in the building. They might even find evidence that they are still there, and then let that build until they can use it as a form of communication.

Something else to consider is if this is a contained Eden, you can have rooms, or areas that defy conventional design. You can bring nature in, and play with gravity and what-not.

Maybe it's crazy. My ideas have been accused of that in the past.

And, as just a side note, this is my first post. Ive been reading this board now for a couple of weeks, and I have to say it's a fantastic environment with a wealth of talent. I just purchased my DVX100A a few weeks ago. A large part of my decision to do so came from seeing the footage and reading the posts on this board. Thanks to everyone for sharing your work.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

i was just thinking that when the new female bot comes in, as someone previously said and acts as though they had been married for years, the male should in a way become aware of his own conciousness....ie make him realize what's going on perhaps playing detective in the building looking for clues as to what happened perhaps when there are no "guests" arond he takes out and act of "violence" on the new female bot discovering that she is a robot not human maybe even discovering the same about himself mabey he even finds a way out of the building and begins looking for his old counterpart after all he was programmed to belive he was human...isn't that what you would do....

these are just random ideas because someone said you would have to have a character driven screenplay as time went on and i'm in agreement, i have a feeling there would be alot of "silent following" on the robot that perhaps might become a bit tedious
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

A little off topic, but I just noticed some people wondering whether it is even possible to make a feature in one location and keep it interesting.

12 Angry Men, one of the greatest achievements in cinema history, was filmed almost entirely in one ROOM. So yes, it can be done.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

[quote author=Matt Martin link=board=writing;num=1080865484;start=15#25 date=08/11/04 at 05:08:59]
12 Angry Men, one of the greatest achievements in cinema history, was filmed almost entirely in one ROOM. So yes, it can be done.[/quote]

Well, THAT'S a bit (!) of a stretch.

The movie was nowhere near as good as the play it was based on.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

there is a movie named (my diner with andre)
it mostly takes place in one or two places you might get some good ideas good luck
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Listen you have to first tell this story in a few sentences. I mean you got to know the beggining, turning point (s) and the ending. If you got this you can start writing. If you dont you will spend months playing with the structure and when you got tired you will realize that you have to know what the story is about first.

I know this cos my first feature script was written in the way you trying to do now. My next script I am going to start writing when I will have beggining, middle and ending.
Just time and energy saving. And doesnt kill creativity which is better to use for developing scenes than changing the direction of the story line day after day, draft after draft, month after month...

So you got the begginnig. When the wife dissapears it is the end of act 1. Now we want to know (as an audience) what will happen next. Does the husband find his wife? Is she dead or alive?
In act 2 you will let the audience know someting about the nature of the building. But not to much.
Also we will learn that the husband MUST find his wife - it must be a matter of life or death.

IN the end of act 2 he almost finds her but failes and almost dies himself.

And in the act 3 he will ****ing go forward thru the walls of this building to find out that the wall were built from nothing concrete but paper or paper mache and then he realizes that he is free. Your task is to define the freedom for this story. His wife is waiting for him outside. Why? Cos the deal is that nobody can show you the way out. You got to find it yourself.

Keep working. Write 100 pages or 110 in Final Draft. Shoot it. Edit. Show.

Voytek ;D
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one location.


just do it!


Then your new post can say:
I made a feature film all in one location beeatch!
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

I haven't followed this thread, so I may be off-base here, but having just come from one of my daughter's school plays, let me say:

If you want to make a film all in one location, look for a stage play that you want to convert into a film. Plays are designed to take place in as few locations as possible. And some are incredibly delightful. For examples of plays made into films, try "Arsenic and Old Lace" or "Deathtrap", they all take place primarily in one house and can be very entertaining.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Going along with that, if you just want inspiration or something to steal and make a non-commercial movie out of, go for Wait Until Dark or The Mousetrap. Good single-location plays that get by with just lots of coming and going by the cast.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

The building is the characters version of heaven or hell.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

[quote author=Matt Martin link=board=writing;num=1080865484;start=15#25 date=08/11/04 at 05:08:59]A little off topic, but I just noticed some people wondering whether it is even possible to make a feature in one location and keep it interesting.

12 Angry Men, one of the greatest achievements in cinema history, was filmed almost entirely in one ROOM. So yes, it can be done.[/quote]

As was The Gin Game, another excellent movie. It all took place in an old folks home.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Maybe one or the other character has information (military, or technical, or industrial, or whatever) that the other character is supposed to extract from them...the whole environment and relationship has been set up by invisible interrogators to tease the information outta the guy.

"Final Approach" with James Sikking and Hector Alizondo was kind of like that; mostly set in a psychiatrist's office (or what appears to be one...)

There was an "Outer Limits" epp like that, too...a human prisoner being confined together with an alien-disguised-as-human who was there to trick him into revealing what he knows...

Maybe you'll have a better idea of what the situation is, when you decide what the point - or moral, or premise - of your story is.

For my .02 worth, check out "The Art of Dramatic Writing" by Lajos Egry. It's an older book, and intended for playwrights, but still very applicable to writing for the screen.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

I worked on a feature 2 years ago. Script was 89 pages. Finished length 107min. All shot in and around an old mansion. Shot in 13 days on 16:9 16mm. Cost - about $70,000. With DVX certainly can be done for less.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

I like the sound of this film. Screenplay doesn't have to be 84 pages. I've read that the minimum length of the actual film has to be 72min (some other places say only 60) but the 1 minute per page isn't exact so 70 pages could be reasonable. Never the less, just write the screenplay and see how long it comes out.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

would it be too much of a wimp out where they grow old and the female dies and then you find out they were manaqueins?

matthew
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

[quote author=Barry_Green link=board=writing;num=1080865484;start=30#30 date=11/08/04 at 10:35:57]I haven't followed this thread, so I may be off-base here, but having just come from one of my daughter's school plays, let me say:

If you want to make a film all in one location, look for a stage play that you want to convert into a film.  Plays are designed to take place in as few locations as possible.  And some are incredibly delightful.  For examples of plays made into films, try "Arsenic and Old Lace" or "Deathtrap", they all take place primarily in one house and can be very entertaining.[/quote]

For that matter, some of the best episodes of "Picket Fences," which was a fabulously-written show, took place all in one room, and had the feel of a play.
 
Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Re: I want to make a feature film all in one locat

Ckalan1 let me guess...

First act:
Presentation of characters, day life... FLAT WITH NO WINDOWS (better, claustrophobia and cheaper scenarios, means, little bugdet)
Plot point 1 Wife vanishes

Second act:
Husband looks around, litttle amused at the beggining thinking it´s a game, then gets nervous, go crazy for seconds.

How is the life without her? Then there is a turning point where he, as being alone and in close place, start to hear voices (day dreams, alucinations,...) from wife, maybe others...

As it gets worst he tries to scape; Break the walls with chairs, getting crazy and try with fingernails (bloody ones with marks on the wall, great shot...) Tries to break a hole trough shower or kitchen pipes (and maybe he discovers there are no pipes at all...)

Plot point 2: At the end he is out of his mind and hit the head against a wall, 'without her, better is to be dead'

Third Act:

When he opens the eyes there´s a woman. A different one. What about asking her where she comes from and she says Germany or something like this? (Fake remembers). Then, she is sexy and he is nuts... What if he kill her or with intention to do it she says he will never know how to scape (what?? she really knows? She was liying all the time?) But he kill her anyway. Get asleep after crying and chopp out of his mind completely.

Wakes up and find his wife. What he will do then? he will believe it was a dream? He give a walk and find no cute german blonde body. He goes to sleep.

When he is out of the room, the wife looks little scare and looks to corner walls.

Outside the building WITH NO WINDOWS, psicologist and military crew look at TVs. Man is having a shower.

Psicologist: See? Two weeks, one woman killed, then we put the wife again and we have a brand new Jake...

Coronel: Perfect! Get the papers to Guantanamo. -- Or, get the things ready to Guantanamo-- whatever.

END

What do you think? Enough crazy for half an hour? I just write it while typing. 6´00 a.m. with no sleep.
 
Back
Top