I know I know capturing question...

BUCK

Well-known member
Ok I'm using adobe premier pro 1.0. I have a tape that I shot at 24p, how do I capture at 24fps??? I searched the forums but found no straight forward answers, thanks for the help in advance!
L8R
Buck
 
Premiere Pro, either 1.0 or 1.5, capture digital video the same way. It's when you import into a timeline that Premiere Pro 1.5 treats it differently and removes the 24p pulldown. I used Premiere 6.5 for a long time, and when I started using PP1.5 I was surprised to find that all the capturing I'd done in 6.5 was recognized as 24p footage. Then I realized that it isn't in the capturing of the footage.

I hope that helps. The only way you can actually edit 24p footage as 24p footage is in Premiere Pro 1.5, and at that it's best if it's 24pA footage (advanced pulldown) since premiere has problems with the normal 24p footage.

The short answer to your question: upgrade to PP1.5

Justin
www.beyondtimemedia.com
 
what if I were to shoot at 30p??? Then it will look better in adobe premier pro 1.0, b/c it captures at like 29.97 right?
Thanks for explination, only thing is i can't afford 1.5...Maybe I can aquire it through the college though.

L8R
Buck
 
To be completely honest with you, I didn't see a bit of difference once I upgraded to 1.5 as far as how the footage looked on the monitors from 1.0 or 6.5 As 24p footage it's easier to pull still frames from (there's no interlacing) but the end result looked exactly the same.

How does your 24p footage look when you render out of 1.0?

Justin
www.beyondtimemedia.com
 
If you're using PP1.0, then 24p will look like 24p because the DVX100 performs pulldown on the video. The only thing is that your playback is on a 29.97 timeline. 30p will look a little smoother.

Although PP1.5 recognizes 24p and removes the pulldown, there is no option to disable this feature. So you cannot mix 24p video with a 29.97 timeline. Well you can, but the 24p will look jerky. Check out the Adobe website. There's plenty of complaints about this. There's no need to upgrade to PP1.5 unless you need some of the other features (such as project manager, etc.)
 
Hey Guys-

I'm just reading your threads and learning a bit in the process about capturing in 24P, 24Pa, using it in 29.97 timelines etc...

Thing is, I am having a bit of a problem doing the actual PHYSICAL capturing. My computer will NOT recognize my camera. Now, I know this isn't exactly the right forum for this, but I am a wee bit on the desperate and frustrated side. Do any of you know where or what website I can go to, to troubleshoot this??? It's maddening. A techie at school suggested that it might be bent pins in the firewire port, however, I have more than one firewire port. Yet, nothing. The cable is fine because I used it earlier today at school with someone else's camera. So I am at a freaking loss here.

Somebody please throw me a bone and offer me some advice-

Rick
 
Your problem might be the camera. Try capturing on someone else's computer and see what you come up with. Also, you might want to make sure you don't have other things plugged into the firewire port on the computer. I run the Canopus ADVC-100 breakout box analogue/dv converter which also connects via firewire. When I'm capturing, I make sure it's turned off.

Just my two-cents.

Justin
www.beyondtimemedia.com
 
jchenier said:
Your problem might be the camera....Just my two-cents. [/url]

Thanks Justin for your reply but good God I hope you are wrong. I just got this baby 2 weeks ago. I'd be over-the-top frustrated. Well, I will take her up to a friends place tomorrow night (kills me that I have to wait that long) to see how she does with his computer. Thing is, she has worked fine up there. But when I brought the DVX to MY computer...nothing.

I already know that capturing has been finicky with my one chip Sony in MY computer. In fact, I have troubleshot enough to except that fact that the capture feature on that camera is officially dead. My fear is that it is dead because of a faulty firewire port in my computer. Or perhaps, I had a hand in the faulty port by inserting the cable in the wrong way. I have heard horror stories of how this could reverse the transfer of information and result in a fried capture port in the camera. So, now that it's happening with the DVX, I won't sleep easy until I get her to another computer. By the way, keep this between you me and anyone else who reads this. If I gotta try to invoke my warranty, I'd hate for them to think that it was my fault.:o)

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestion-
Rick
 
jchenier said:
Premiere Pro, either 1.0 or 1.5, capture digital video the same way. It's when you import into a timeline that Premiere Pro 1.5 treats it differently and removes the 24p pulldown. I used Premiere 6.5 for a long time, and when I started using PP1.5 I was surprised to find that all the capturing I'd done in 6.5 was recognized as 24p footage. Then I realized that it isn't in the capturing of the footage.

I hope that helps. The only way you can actually edit 24p footage as 24p footage is in Premiere Pro 1.5, and at that it's best if it's 24pA footage (advanced pulldown) since premiere has problems with the normal 24p footage.

The short answer to your question: upgrade to PP1.5

Justin
www.beyondtimemedia.com
Hi Justin,
I am having a hard time capturing footage into Premiere Pro 1.5 from my DVX100A. I bought the editing program from an aftermarket company on line and the camera was purchesed used with no software. Each time I try to capture footage I get a message, "Device Driver Offline" The software for Premiere Pro seems to work fine but when I hit the capture button I get no preview on the screen and then I get the Device Driver prompt. I have followed the help instructions in Premiere Pro to set up the Driver but still can't capture any footage. Any help would be greatly appriciated!
 
24pa conversion at capture time or when dragging to timeline

24pa conversion at capture time or when dragging to timeline

jchenier said:
Premiere Pro, either 1.0 or 1.5, capture digital video the same way. It's when you import into a timeline that Premiere Pro 1.5 treats it differently and removes the 24p pulldown. I used Premiere 6.5 for a long time, and when I started using PP1.5 I was surprised to find that all the capturing I'd done in 6.5 was recognized as 24p footage. Then I realized that it isn't in the capturing of the footage.

I hope that helps. The only way you can actually edit 24p footage as 24p footage is in Premiere Pro 1.5, and at that it's best if it's 24pA footage (advanced pulldown) since premiere has problems with the normal 24p footage.

The short answer to your question: upgrade to PP1.5

Justin
www.beyondtimemedia.com

Is this correct? On the link below I see Adobe says footage is converted during the capture.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premi...&format=NTSC&brand=Panasonic&model=AG-DVX100A

If Premier Pro coverts the footage to 24 frames per second at capture time itself, tis means I can't use another software such as Sceneanalyzer Live to capture the footage. This is a pity since I like SL interface better than PPro.

- gupit
 
Back
Top