Hvx200 a dead camcorder?

720p is great for youtube on iPhones ... which means several Billion viewers worldwide for your opinions/shows! Content is still King in 2018!

The HVX200 is actually a native 1080p camera. No matter what resolution recording is being done, or whether the recording is progressive or interlaced, the image is starting out internally as a 1080p image, and then during processing gets converted to the particular format selected for recording.

Says who? The HVX 200 is a native 720p camera with a 1.1MP 3 chip sensor. The only form of 1080 is interlaced which is achieved by pixel shifting.

Last edited:
Always remember, at the end of the day, a camera is just a tool. Its how we use them that makes the difference. The HVX is a tried and true workhorse in the industry and they are still even being rented out at my work @ VER.. as are Sony EX1s and 3s... dont let the age of a camera bewilder you to create. All the cameras i own are 10+ years old and I get very very beautiful images out of them. :)

What do they rent out for at VER? Surely next to nothing at all

Says who? The HVX 200 is a native 720p camera with a 1.1MP 3 chip sensor. The only form of 1080 is interlaced which is achieved by pixel shifting.

Says Panasonic.

Don't confuse image capture and recording specs with the resolved detail in resulting images. All images are captured in-camera as 1080 progressive. They are split into interlaced images for recording purposes because the DVCPro codec does not support progressive at 1080. Editors/playback software reassemble the interlaced recording into true progressive. 720 recordings are downscaled from the original 1080 capture, and are recorded as progressive frames because 720 is by definition a progressive-only format.

This isn't to say that the viewed images are going to be as detailed as those coming from chips with more photosites. Of course more photosites will allow more detail. But regardless, the camera does in fact capture and output 1080 progressive images.

Nope, you are mistaken. The camera is a progressive chip camera natively. There are numerous threads on this and Barry Green has explained it numerous times. Also, the camera does shoot 1080p natively. Again numerous threads that explain how the camera works to do this. Just do a search or go ask Barry direct, he can explain better than me. To sum up, this camera is not dead if all you need is a good 1080p or interlace image.

Again, I still have an HVX200a that will occasionally, though rarely, get pulled out for certain clients in certain situations. It was a work horse for me in it's prime...But pretty sure I am not mistaken about the sensor / pixel count of the camera. Here's a direct quote from a document still on Panasonic's ftp site...
"Panasonic moved ahead with the decision to use a 960 X 540 progressive imager in conjunction with the Horizontal and Vertical Spatial Offset strategy." You can read the entire white paper here:
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasonic/drivers/PBTS/papers/AG-HVX200.CCD-WP.pdf

Student Use

Student Use

KMR got it exactly right.

I'm a teacher of 'film production' here in our school...am using my old HVX with the students...

it is a fantastic camera for our students to learn with!

Dedicated XLR inputs...

Build in ND options...

Focus techniques....

The old girl is a bit of a Sherman tank compared to the modern cams...but it is just a great resource....and as much as I have fancy 4K on my DLSR...I really miss those dedicated XLR inputs!

If you've got an old HVX and you don't know what to do with it and consider it dead....feel free to make us a donation...we'll happily make use of it!! ;)

What do they rent out for at VER? Surely next to nothing at all

Wrong my friend. Before coronavirus they were renting out HVX200s and EX1 and EX3 cameras like hotcakes! When I worked there from 2017-2018 and even after I left well into 2020. My friends back at VER even said they sent out a tape varicam a few times earlier this year. Dont ever let the age of a piece of gear fool you.

Back