HVX and M2 35mm cine adapter footage

ckarcher

Active member
Hello, some initial test shots of my cats. ( it was raining outside all day) more to come this weekend before my first big projects.

http://hvx200.moctel.com/Users/ckarcher/


file name is M2andHVX_cats.mov

notes:

HVX 200 and RedRock M2 35mm adapter
lense: Nikon 105mm portrait lense
marshall 7" on camera HD monitor for critical focus
 
great

great

Great stuff (as usual), thanks for posting all your work. I would love to see more footage with the m2. -andy
 
that looks awesome! please let me now if you made some adjustments on the M2 or was it that sharp out of the box, because mine is on the way and so far i've been kind of dissapointed with the m2 footage......until i saw yours.....really sharp! so please let me know.
 
Great footage!

Great footage!

That footage sure looks sharp, which is nice to know because I have an M2 on order along with my HVX which just arrived at Specialized Communications. One question though; I noticed (after watching the clip 35 times) a little black shadow at the top middle of the frame. Is that from a matte box or something like it? I doubt it would be in the adapter itself. Thanks for the footage.
Seamus+
 
Lookin real good! Thanks for posting! I'm looking foward to getting a hold of the M2 system as well. I too would like to know how your set up process went like.

Thanks in advance.
 
yes,Ii did notice the black block at the top of the frame-I needed to move the adapter closer to the lense as the little black frame was the motor for the ground glass. Setting focus on the ground glass is critical- use the focus assist feature or a HD monitor- in my case the marshall 7" HDA. Also make sure the GG (ground Glass) is seated on the motor correctly. I took the adapter apart and discovered mine had a wobble and it was making the footage a little soft. Once I re-seated the GG so it spun true- the images were amazing and tack sharp.

The setup was fairly straightforward, although the front lense element was faulty (flaws in the glass) and they are shipping me a replacement today. Even still, the footage was still nice.

Make sure you get the 1/4" set of shims as the adapter needs to be shimmed up 1/4" for proper alignment. Dont forget the 82-72mm adapter ring for the achromat from adapterrings.com.
 
Good stuff to know. Thanks. Can you tell me what your zoom/focus settings are on the HVX200?

Also it goes without saying, more footage would be awesome. ;)
 
first compliments on the footage - very nice

second - i have the m2 and have shot a short with it on the dvx and love it

BUT - I have been worried to use it because the softness it introduces might be too much for the HD resolution. In other words it will soften the resolution now available in the HVX - I have an HVX but haven't tested but this test confirmed this a bit for me.

It looks more soft then the adapter did with the dvx because the SD footage was smaller and therefore "absorbed" some of the softness. I suspect this would be fine for most shoots but if intended for big screen i suspect it will be too soft
 
ckarcher--

I'd love to see some still grabs taken with AND without the adaptor just as a comparison of the actually sharpness of the image. A res chart or just anything with some sharp lines and crisp focus.

Sorry if someone already has comparisons like this up and I'm being redundant... but I peeked around and couldn't find anything.
 
I'll be doing some further testing this weekend. In the meantime, here's my thoughts on resolution:

It is extremely critical with this combination to have good on camera monitoring: even with a great 7' HD LCD the DOF is extremely shallow. I do think that there is some image softening; however ,I also had a faulty front lense on the M2 and a replacement is arriving on Sat.

I'm also planning on trying to add some sharpening in the HVX (menu) to gain back some sharpness if any is lost.

I must say that the M2 is AMAZING! I love the way it creates really creamy textures and tones. Even if it does end up being a little softer, I'll still plan to use it because I am a believer in style over science...give me a film with decent resolution, but a beautiful or different style instead of the typical HD material: razor sharp and surreal, vibrant colors.
 
ckarcher said:
style over science...a beautiful or different style instead of the typical HD material: razor sharp and surreal, vibrant colors.

Totally agreed. The good news is we're beyond SD at this point, and I think SD DVD will be around for a bit longer. HVX200 + M2 footage on SD DVD should look crisp AND dreamy. :) Besides SD, I think the footage your getting and the footage I've gotten so far with the MPIC on the HVX200 will look awesome on an HDTV, even if it is slightly less sharp than the stock lens.

Let us know when there's some more footage or grabs. And I'd still like to know what your zoom and focus settings are.

Thanks!

steev
 
M2 vs. MPIC on the HVX

M2 vs. MPIC on the HVX

Smelni and Steev -

Sorry to bother you - I don't mean to alter this thread - but I was wondering if you had any updates on the MPIC vs. M2 situation. I am going to get one of these: price is an issue, but I hear the M2 needs mods to work on the HVX200 (which I have). I like the MPIC quality, follow focus, and compact size. I have issues with the 1/4" shimm for proper alignment, and the 82-72mm adapter ring for the achromat from adapterrings.com you need to make the M2 work.

It seems that the MPIC is more pro-oriented. For example, at least dan provides focus charts with his unit. Finally, is there a focus plane on the MPIC, and do you need to re-format your focus distances on your lenses to match this? Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

Markus
 
if you guys could recommend some lenses for the M2 that work well with the HVX that would be a huge help! i'm def getting one once my HVX comes in and it would be nice to know what lenses you guys are using.

thanks!

-kd
 
sukram said:
I have issues with the 1/4" shimm for proper alignment, and the 82-72mm adapter ring for the achromat from adapterrings.com you need to make the M2 work.

I'm not sure I'd worry much about those 2 things. The M2 is designed to be shimmed to fit many cameras. It just raises the height of the unit so it lines up properly. And the 82-72? You have to zoom in on the ground glass so there's no chance of the adapter ring vignetting.

Because the HVX has such a great macro ability it zooms in and focuses on the GG with no trouble.

I think Steve's probably the only one that can comment on a side by side picture quality comparion.

As for a starter lens I'd grab an old manual focus Nikkor 50 1.4 off eBay etc.
 
Back
Top