How would you format the following?

Hi again!

You have been of so much help with my previous two questions so I thought I'd ask you something I have not been able to get an answer to anywhere else:

I have a scene where something one character is saying is completed by another character, as if it was the new character who was talking all along. Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly...

It's kind of like a match cut but for sound maybe... ??

For example CHARACTER A says "I have been waiting to hea..." / CHARACTER B "...r from you".

Is there a specific way of formatting that?

Thank you for any guidance you can give me on this!!!

Romina
 
By the way, in case I made this too confusing, I wanted to clarify that CHARACTER B is not in the same room but in a whole new setting with a new slug line and everything.
 
Pretty straightforward.


CHARACTER A
I have been waiting to hea --

CUT TO:

INT. CHARACTER B'S LOCATION

CHARACTER B
(completing the sentence)
-- r from you.


Really, any way that makes sense is fine.
 
You might want to take a look at the screenplay for Annie Hall. There is a famous scene, the two protagonists in therapy, separate locations each with their own therapist, both talking almost at the same time, exactly as you plan to do. When they filmed this, they decided to just put up an actual physical wall on the set and film both actors/scenes at the same time. The video shows this, sorry I could not get the english version on youtube to load, not sure why, so here is the spanish version-- language does not matter, you will get the idea:
_
 
Last edited:
Back
Top