How would you do this kind of lighting?

Indeed. I am thinking about doing several different colored looks in the final edit, should I shoot that with no colored lighting and do the coloring with the raw or should I go ahead and color the scenes differently?

Raw gives me leeway on a budget and with time constraints. I'm thinking if I shoot it without coloring the scene, I don't have to replicate any shots and I could get a lot more done, but then if they are going to come out a bunch better, I will just color the scenes and take the loss on time replicating shots in different colors.

I also want to know how you would light it. With what, especially on a low budget. Lighting configurations, any good resources?

Thanks.

I also want to know about what you would use to light like that.
 
Most of the red stuff looks to me like there was a red filter in front of the lens, so some of it i don't know if you'll be able to get in post. Point being, I don't think there was a *ton* of colored lighting on set. If you are going to gel the lights, keep in mind for that kind of color difference you'll need heavy gels and a lot more power, I don't think colored accents are going to get you where you want so you'll have to go all out. Probably not super worthwhile on a low budget with time constraints.

Beyond that, the lighting is different for every part but nothing too wild. Mostly backlit/sidelit for the bedroom stuff. I could be wrong, but it looks like maybe it's a set with some kind of backdrop for outside the windows. Obviously the stuff where he's just dancing was lit pretty standard, some hard tungsten lights against a red backdrop. Without really going over it again, I'd say one or two light set-ups... it's pretty contrasty.

As always... shoot a test! Decide for yourself what you like best. I suspect if you really want the same style of lighting, sticking a big hard light in the corner of the room and putting a red filter in front of the lens is going to get you most of the way there.
 
Back
Top