How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

oh man... this is an awesome post.

the truth of the matter is, we are getting this BY ACCIDENT right now on our homemade mini35 adapter we are working... basically you get an image that looks very much like super8. it looks pretty awesome actually.

i guess in post you could just crop it so it's only in the middle of the screen (i.e. Wonder Years opening).

we were actually going to keep one version of our prototype "as-is" just to get this 8mm/super8 effect.

funny how things happen by mistake
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

I don't know if these filters work with FC but they are awesome for getting an old look, "BIG FX" and "Cinelook". Try them if you can. Amazing!
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

I forgot to say that you can posterize time and set it at 18 frames, as someone said before. It's a plugin included in many NLEs like Premiere, After Effects.
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

uh... why not just shoot the scene on super8 film? If the scene doesn't require synced dialog, it seems like it could be done instead of manipulating the image digitally in post.

You can get a Super8 camera on Ebay for next to nothing, and you can get even the most modern film stocks in Super8 from Pro8mm.com, who can also transfer your footage to MiniDV or many other formats to cut into your video footage. Super8 was used for some of the footage in the upcoming TV movie, "Helter Skelter." Check out the article in the May 2004 American Cinematographer.

A DP friend of mine uses one of those Russian K-3 16mm cameras to fake old movies. He says the registration is so bad in the camera that it'll occasionally skip frames and weave around slightly, so it looks cheap. He shoots 800 speed film and pushes it like 2-3 stops to up the grain. Looks pretty convincing.
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

"The Wonder Years" open title sequence has a nice example of what you're looking to achieve....
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

I made a short and i wanted to recreat the 1920's look of avant garde european style films. To get the look i shot at 24p. Than put it into fcp and added a gassusian blur 2%, desaturated it, soft edges 3 all around with gass blur checked, changed the RGB balance around, i used a silk and fog plugin i got from www.chv-plugings.com, i color corrected to make more contrast, put blink at 2,1,98, and than i put a strobe at 2 percent. It doensnt look exactly correct because there isnt any grain. here is an example ... www.jonwolf.org/ver5/videos/thetinyinmybox.mov

.. i made all the music in soundtrack...
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

I have a super8 in my basement. I got it as a graduation gift from college (I'm really dating myself here). We have a 3 minute reel from our wedding (before the days of wedding videos). This thread makes me think I could actually pull it out and use it to some effect at some point!
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

[quote author=magicdavek link=board=news;num=1083862508;start=15#19 date=05/10/04 at 18:42:05]First of all, I disagree with your premise of using black and white. I really don't know how old you guys are and how many 8mm films you watched from the 60s. I'm not trying to come across like a know it all, because I know very little. [/quote]

I'm a little late, but I have to agree. I've been in the process of transfering and authoring my Grandfathers 8mm and S8 films, some 20,000 plus feet dating back to 1949 and every last bit of it is color. In fact alot of his film is Kodachrome and after 50 plus years the color is still vibrant, I was shocked.

I'd just shoot Super 8, transfer it and call it a day. You can do it in post, thats for sure, but nothing like the real thing and the clater of an old 8mm camera.
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

Thank for the reinforcement of my comment about color. I didn't realize that color 8mm would have been a consumer product back to 1949, however.
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

I knew (because my parent's told me) that the first two MAJOR releases in color were Gone With the Wind and the Wizard of Oz, both late 1930s. I was just surprised that consumers could do color so quickly.
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

Update. Tonight I was speaking to my eight year old daughter about home movies taken when I was a kid. She said "were they black and white?" Obviously, she didn't take the time to read this thread before asking such a preposterous question. ;)
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

You'll find Pearl Harbor footage in color, taken by locals. 1941.
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

this is a politically incorrect thread.. all it talks about is "black and white" and whether things are "colored" or not. :P
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

How about that for a 100% original "I am Loser" comic remark !?

*Not meaning that was the Joke of a loser... Damn your nickname leads to a lot of unconfortable missunderstandings... ;D
 
Re: How to simulate 1960's home movie look?

Okay IAL, that wasn't an "LOL", that was a genuine Laugh Out Loud. If I'd been drinking something it would have been a guaranteed spit-take.
 
Back
Top