How many times have you had an idea for a script & the same idea comes out as a movie

john threat

Carbonite Member
How many times have you had an idea for a script & the same idea comes out as a movie

How many times has this happened to you? To me at least like 10 times.
Its like a slap in the face and you want to cry on your pillow and hold your teddy close while drinking nyquil to take the pain away.
Meanwhile the screenwriter is laughing it up walking down the red carpet, boozing it up with broads and buying a third house in costa rica and inserting a new IMDB credit!

It happened to me twice this year! I got hired to write a script and its coming out good, but looks like two of my next ideas - i might have to put into private turn around and shelf (especially if they dont do well at the Box Office!)

What do you do to cope and how many times has this happened to you!
 
Same thing here... two ideas in 2011 that I actually more or less talked to death with my girlfriend. Whatya know... a couple of months later it appears on tv and is a small success. It's a stab in the heart at the same time as giving yourself a "told you so" feeling that you can't really use for anything :D

I was paranoid enough I would think that something had bugged the house since there were almost too many similarities to be a coincidence xD Anyways... I guess the lesson is, move on it as soon as you see it, or you'll see someone else move on it.
 
This happened to me too. I had this awesome idea that was basically a guaranteed success, there was no way it could NOT do well, and then they stole my idea and re-released Lion King in 3D.

On a more serious note, this always happens to me with book adaptations. I don't read a lot of fiction books, but it seems like the ones I do I always get excited and think "I want to adapt this into a film someday" and then it turns out they're already working on a s..tty adaptation of it. That's why I'm paranoid and have stopped telling people what books I'm reading.

-JMT
 
one idea came out twice, both from related camps of producers from the UK. Everyone called me (friends) and was like well your script is awesome but thats that! sorry chump! shelve your work!

NOW WHAT!
 
I look at it this way. If someone steals my story and they make a movie about it and it turns out to be a success at least the story got out. The other alternative being that the story is shelved forever is worse.
 
Jung I think stated we were all of one collective mind. Or you could say we are the Borg and all have been assimilated.
 
Years ago I remember getting stunned to get a fax from an outfit I was testing a new script writing program for saying, if I was having any trouble inlaying new characters or updates, then fax them my draft script so far.

So I abandoned sending my concoctions for anyone to read, imo even some publishers are suspect.

In the weekend papers there's ads that say, 'Having trouble getting your work published? then call Harry the Horse.' Same with patents, Harry plays the field.

How do folk handle protection, lock a notarised original script in a vault, then do the mail outs?

Cheers.
 
I have a awesome script that's about a UFO crashing into a urban area and another about Ufos at sea, and boom! Attack the block and battleship came out. I'm screwed! My scripts ( in my inflated opinion ) are much better and different enough that I will soilder on and wear a tin foil hat from now on. Luckily I keep coming up with new ideas that are awesome!

Just gotta finish the script assignment,
 
Imagine the gloom of the person who first thought of a series of stories about an orphan kid wizard who goes to wizard school .. then JK Rowling turns up.

Follow the yellow brick road folks.

Cheers.
 
Add nuclear powered magic and write about a girl instead of a boy and you can create your own Harry Potter like stories.
 
Back
Top