Hello.
I have written a script, and made most of the arrangements to get a short film made. This will be my first, and I'm learning most of it as I go along.
Luckily, a few people I know have agreed to act in my film, and are waiting for me to send them the script.
I think I have all the paper work I need to ensure they can't sue me if they change their mind about me selling the film with their performances, likenesses, etc..
But I am unsure about one other thing.
If I send them my script, and they haven't signed anything yet, how can I ensure they don't steal it and make another film from it? Is this all covered by copyright?
I'm just concerned about sending out my work to other people with no real proof I ever did so (email and its datestamps can be falsified, etc., etc..).
If this was a big movie production in a big studio, and some big name actors were being sent scripts to decide if they wanted to be in the film, and what parts they wanted to audition for, would they need to sign anything before receiving scripts?
I've had people steal my ideas before, and I don't want it happening again.
I hope this is as straight forward as "It's copyrighted, so you're fine.".
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Tom
I have written a script, and made most of the arrangements to get a short film made. This will be my first, and I'm learning most of it as I go along.
Luckily, a few people I know have agreed to act in my film, and are waiting for me to send them the script.
I think I have all the paper work I need to ensure they can't sue me if they change their mind about me selling the film with their performances, likenesses, etc..
But I am unsure about one other thing.
If I send them my script, and they haven't signed anything yet, how can I ensure they don't steal it and make another film from it? Is this all covered by copyright?
I'm just concerned about sending out my work to other people with no real proof I ever did so (email and its datestamps can be falsified, etc., etc..).
If this was a big movie production in a big studio, and some big name actors were being sent scripts to decide if they wanted to be in the film, and what parts they wanted to audition for, would they need to sign anything before receiving scripts?
I've had people steal my ideas before, and I don't want it happening again.
I hope this is as straight forward as "It's copyrighted, so you're fine.".
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Tom