How are you using the web to find new clients?

helpfulhand

New member
What kind of internet marketing tools are you guys using to find perspective clients? Is there anything in particular that's actually generating leads? Let me know.
 
I am new in the realm of video production but what has worked for me thus so far is social media, website and word of mouth. I also want to say that there is a great sticky on top of this section that talks about how to land clients and keep in business over the 5 year mark. Barry also gives his advice as well. I think this will help a lot. I do all of this things and put in a tremendous amount of time into the business but when i get a client, it's awesome!
 
I have ads/profiles on just about any freelance/film-related site that will allow one for free. This has helped bring me attention from out of state/country folks, while those in town continue to not know or care that i exist.
 
I brought in two of my best clients via Twitter by directly starting a conversation with them. Total budget for both films was $350k. One has domestic DVD/VOD and the other one is getting shopped around.

In development to start buying Web banner ADS on high traffic websites and buying space on alternative newspapers.
 
Has anyone ever had much success finding work through impersonal advertisement, especially clientele who are enjoyable to work with?

Shocking, I know, since so much money, business, and activity goes into blanket advertising, in print and on the web. But when I was in business, the thousands I spent per year on advertising got me: 0 calls.

On the other hand, word of mouth got me 100% of my work.
 
I draw the line at spending money on the ads mentioned above. However, i understand from others that on productionhub, at least, the paid profile can get you calls/leads, yes.
 
Has anyone ever had much success finding work through impersonal advertisement, especially clientele who are enjoyable to work with?

Shocking, I know, since so much money, business, and activity goes into blanket advertising, in print and on the web. But when I was in business, the thousands I spent per year on advertising got me: 0 calls.

On the other hand, word of mouth got me 100% of my work.


I've been in various kinds of business and had the same experience. I'd say the one exception is the radio call in show where the host talks about your product with you, implicitly endorsing it. That can be effective.
 
I brought in two of my best clients via Twitter by directly starting a conversation with them. Total budget for both films was $350k. One has domestic DVD/VOD and the other one is getting shopped around.

In development to start buying Web banner ADS on high traffic websites and buying space on alternative newspapers.

Wowser, congrats on the big score. May I ask how you found those people on Twitter? There's a lot to weed through...
 
I've always resisted blanket advertising. My thinking was that my ad dollars needed to go toward reaching my target audience, not just blown out there reach anybody and everybody.

But I've started to think that maybe I was wrong. After all, these days most anybody and everybody watches movies. And quite a lot of people have a wide variety of movies they enjoy, not just one or two specific genres. Even the guy who is a die hard zombie movie fan might want to be nice to his girlfriend or wife once in awhile and recommend a good romantic comedy or a drama.

So maybe blanket advertising isn't as bad an idea as I once thought.
 
Most of my leads are coming from Google. Can't say I have gotten any from FB, Twitter ads, or Adwords, but I have used those before.


I draw the line at spending money on the ads mentioned above. However, i understand from others that on productionhub, at least, the paid profile can get you calls/leads, yes.

I would advertise with them, but they are too expensive for me and I'm not with this pay up front mess they tried me with a few months ago.
 
I don't know what you guys are shooting, but for me it's mostly local TV and web spots. I get about 40% of my clients from Craigslist. Another 40% from word of mouth and the remainder is direct advertising (postcards mostly).
 
Back
Top