Hey Kevin Corcoran!

PrestonH

Well-known member
I know you're an advocate over on the Adobe forums for getting the 24p pulldown issues resolved. I ran into another problem with PPro that I don't know if it's just unique to me or another 24p problem.

I tried using project manager to create a "New Trimmed" project from a large project with 24pa clips. It crashed Premiere every time. However, using the "Collect files and Copy to a new location" option worked. This suggests to me that Premiere may have trouble creating trimmed 24pa clips. Can you or someone else verify this?
 
Re: Hey Kevin Corcoran!

I didn't have problem with this, but it was a short project.

I'll see if I can dig up a long project (how long was yours?) and try it again, but I won't get to it until over the weekend.

In terms of being an advocate on the premiere forums at Adobe.com, everybody should be over there making noise until they fix the 24p issues.
 
Re: Hey Kevin Corcoran!

Kevin,

While we have your attention. Is there an update to Premiere 1.5 forthcoming?

One of the other issues that has become a major annoyance and has been discussed on the Adobe forum is that fact that Premiere seems to slow down the longer it is left open on a computer. My computer hard drive grinds away for no reason, even with just Premiere running, the preview is extremely jerky and things like saving, etc. come to a standstill. When it's closed and relaunched, the issue goes away.

Is that being addressed in an upated version?

Thanks.
 
Re: Hey Kevin Corcoran!

Oops, everyone seems to be under the impression that I work for Adobe or have some inside knowledge. I really don't know. The 24p problems were acknowledged by an Adobe rep on the user forums at Adobe.com, but they tend to say as little as possible and make no promises.

Best thing to do is to go to Adobe.com, report it as a bug, and maybe make some noise about it in the forums over there as well.

Sorry I can't be of more help disjecta -- I'm a big fan of the nature films you've been posting over in the screen grabs section. And I have been considering the purchase of a Cobra Crane after reading your comments.
 
Re: Hey Kevin Corcoran!

Kevin,
I have 445 clips (48 gb) logged and captured for a short I'm working on. I cut a trailer first, so that project was only 60 sec. and used footage from maybe 10 clips. Weird. I posted over on the Adobe forum and nobody had a clue. Maybe it was a fluke, I don't know.
 
Re: Hey Kevin Corcoran!

[quote author=Kevin_Corcoran link=board=Premier;num=1095895258;start=0#3 date=09/23/04 at 13:00:44]Oops, everyone seems to be under the impression that I work for Adobe or have some inside knowledge. I really don't know.[/quote]

Oh, sorry about that :-[

Thanks for the kudos...it's nice to inspire.
 
Re: Hey Kevin Corcoran!

[quote author=disjecta link=board=Premier;num=1095895258;start=0#2 date=09/23/04 at 09:59:58]Premiere seems to slow down the longer it is left open on a computer.[/quote]

First, INAAE "I'm not an adobe employee" :)

The issue you describe sounds like a classic memory leakage problem. That's when a program uses memory but loses track of it. The memory remains allocated to the program but no longer gets used. As the program runs it requests more memory which the OS continues to give to it. Eventually, the OS needs to start swapping memory not being used or used only a small amount to disk to make more room for the new memory requests. At that point the speed of the system becomes slower and slower as the OS has to swap memory back and forth between RAM memory and disk memory.

Shutting down the offending program will release all of the allocated memory back to the OS. So, sadly, that's really your only option. Shutdown and restart Premiere when you find things slowing down. Optionally, you might get yourself some more memory (cheap these days). This will not solve the memory leakage problem but will buy you more time before having to restart Premiere.

Btw - Run Task manager (right-click on the Taskbar and pick the Task Manager item) to see the resources being used by your system and by the loaded applications. Look on the Performance tab and note the Physical Memory values. If your Available memory is reaching your Total then you will start to see swapping. Display the Processes tab and look for the Premiere "Image name" within the list. Note the value in the Mem Usage column to see what Premiere is eating up. Look at this value when you first start Premiere and then check that value at later times to see how it changes. Especially when your system starts slowing down.

I hope this wasn't too much technical mumbo jumbo.
 
Re: Hey Kevin Corcoran!

I totally thought I was the only one w/ that problem, and it was my copmuter. Now I don't have to reformat! yay!
 
Re: Hey Kevin Corcoran!

Yes, please goto Adobe forums and post in the 24P bug thread. I've been posting in there every once in awhile just to make sure Adobe knows people aren't going to forget about it. The thread is over 100 posts long, and I hope they don't wait until its over 200 in order to fix it.
 
Back
Top