Help me save/develop this script

Crimson

Member
I'm working with a local young filmmaking club to make a short 30 min. film, and this is the general outline we have come up with. I realize that it's a bit too formulaic, Scream-ish, and has some plot-holes, and I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas to make it a bit more interesting before I type up the script.


It's about a group of 8 high school ASB teenagers that one night work on a senior prank, supergluing the locks on every door in the high school. They designate one exit door to be left alone, yet one of the kids, Evan, had been planning that night to seek revenge on the same kids that tormented him every day of his education, save one girl he has a crush on, Jessica, the one that always sticks up for him. Evan traps them inside the building, and uses a 50 meter cell phone jammer to cut out their cell phone signals, and temporarily disables it when he sends out text messages, manipulating them to distrust each other and eventually accuse Jessica's boyfriend, Keith, of causing the confusion and apparent murder. It ends with Evan's final confrontation with Keith (who to the audience and characters appears to be the murderer), Evan kills Keith and comforts Jessica while waiting for the police to arrive at the school. In the last scene, it will become apparent to the audience that Evan was the real killer, either through a scene where he burns his orange ski mask or something similar.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I agree that this idea is pretty much "Scream"-esque. I think the cell phone thing is in the right direction, but what high schooler is going to have a cell phone jammer? You want audiences to believe in your story. If they don't, especially in a horror/suspense film, your piece will be laughable. If you wanted to use cell phones, maybe pre-planted cell phones in the abandoned (quiet) school could be more nerve-racking if Evan calls them up one by one? Maybe Evan is manipulating them via using the intercom and security cameras in the school? What else are schools characteristic of?

I find the best ideas can be found by looking around your location and using the environment in conjuntion with good characters to drive the story in places you need.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!
 
Back
Top