WaveRiderXIX
Well-known member
Dude, there's only one way to learn them...
...and really learn them.
You have to get your butt down there.... like tonight probably.
Read the manuals and Start clicking.
Learning strobes over 2 weeks is like asking someone to show you how to do renaissance painting in 2 weeks. And after 2000 shots you finally see something you like, write down the settings and start that off with a benchmark.
The video camera does not look like or work like a still camera because of the metering. If you have a 7D, I suggest getting going natural light if possible, light how you normally do, and shoot natural light with high ISO.
If you work with strobes, you're going to have to move lights, back and forth.. adjusting output levels... pulling out hair, and sweating bricks. Some people will say "eh just shoot TTL and you're fine"... it doesn't always work.
I came from a filming and editing background.
Flash photography took me months of trial and error. I even took 2-3 workshops from different masters of light.
It's 2 years later and I am only now confident to know what to semi-predict or have a rough idea what I will be getting when I setup my custom settings.
But if you do need use a light.... and you are too late to back down...
I say ditch the extra strobes or monolights... get a 580 speedlight on there, a gary fong...pop it on the 7D hotshoe, aim the fong at at the ceiling (assuming it's less than 10 feet and white) put the camera in P.mode. (That means professional mode btw) and blast away.)
...and really learn them.
You have to get your butt down there.... like tonight probably.
Read the manuals and Start clicking.
Learning strobes over 2 weeks is like asking someone to show you how to do renaissance painting in 2 weeks. And after 2000 shots you finally see something you like, write down the settings and start that off with a benchmark.
The video camera does not look like or work like a still camera because of the metering. If you have a 7D, I suggest getting going natural light if possible, light how you normally do, and shoot natural light with high ISO.
If you work with strobes, you're going to have to move lights, back and forth.. adjusting output levels... pulling out hair, and sweating bricks. Some people will say "eh just shoot TTL and you're fine"... it doesn't always work.
I came from a filming and editing background.
Flash photography took me months of trial and error. I even took 2-3 workshops from different masters of light.
It's 2 years later and I am only now confident to know what to semi-predict or have a rough idea what I will be getting when I setup my custom settings.
But if you do need use a light.... and you are too late to back down...
I say ditch the extra strobes or monolights... get a 580 speedlight on there, a gary fong...pop it on the 7D hotshoe, aim the fong at at the ceiling (assuming it's less than 10 feet and white) put the camera in P.mode. (That means professional mode btw) and blast away.)