HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Carrington Benz

Well-known member
Hi,

Got my DVX  just last month & have just landed a web ad for a pretty huge IT corp (friend of a friend etc)- they want something similar to this website, 1st link: www.ego7.com  check out the guys on the top right hand corner.This is part of it but, the rest of it needs to be in the same vein as here 2nd link : www.ego7.net (click on exec presentation (reel icon).
Some of you may not get the 2 link - I had to check it out on a pc  >:( at an internet cafe - did'nt load on my mac  ??? but you can get the jist of the job from the 1 st link.
Its kind of simple - I just have to film a guy presenting the company  (running time 4/5 mins) + 20 other mini sound bites from other employees.

This is my dilema - LIGHTING - where do I start ?
It will be filmed in a room 7ft by 10 ft with 3 white walls & a glass wall with daylight coming thru.
How would you light the person in the same way as the guys on the website links I mentioned ?

I need this job to get my foot in the door & its my first bonafide daily rate job ( only 2/3 days) but im excited & very scared at the same time :o

Any handy hints would go along way from all you dvx pros which I consider to be family after my time here ;)  - what should I hire & how much lighting if any would I need & what else do I need to think about besides switching the dvx on & setting to cine mode ?

Like I said any help what so ever would be a real god send - I start shooting in 2 days with a hell of alot of butterflies.


Just want it to look as pro as possible without biting more than I can chew.

Cheers ;)
 
Re: HELP! newbie just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP! newbie just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Did you check out the "If I buy only one light"thread? 8)
 
Re: HELP! newbie just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP! newbie just got hired to shoot an AD !!

It looks like you will need a green screen. I'm just learning the lighting thing myself. Good luck and congrats!! 8)
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Cheers Elvis - im truly in at the deep end on this.

Ok - I guess that a green screen is this first on the hire list - unless I can get away with someting else ? maybe a huge peice of card & a can of car spray .. . maybe ?

On the guy's face www.ego7.com the lighting seems to light up half of the face - any ideas on what kind of setup for that kind of look ?


Cheers
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Research 3-point lighting. Probably a softbank and fill and a back light but I don't know if you use a back light or hair light with a green screen. They have portable green screens that you could rent.8)
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Greenscreen setups you'll need to be very careful that you properly light the screen to get a good clean key. Usually banks of kinos or the like... Also, for the subject, there is a great PDF on subject lighting here:

http://www.arri.com/infodown/light/broch/li_hand.pdf

Hope that helps a bit...
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

I would advertise on craiglist or mandy or something and see if there is a lighting professional available that is willing to work for credit or deferrment (spell?) ((we all love deferrment))

Have a lil mentor or something.

Anyone here besides Carrington in LONDON that can help lighting?
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

deferral.

And damn I would be rich if producers actually paid deferrals.. has anyone actually ever gotten one?
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

I know, i know. And no, I havent ever gotten anything from working on someone elses film.
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

I have done alot of deferrals, but not gotten any money, but...some of those piece certainly worked on my demo reels and did get me gigs.
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Depending on the size of that window, you could use a large sheet a black wrap or other material to block the light from coming in or you could use the daylight along with your lights. Just make sure white balance your camera either or!
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

I would use the daylight coming in from the window and bounce it our use daylight balanced light or tungsten balanced lights with gels. Kinos come in either flavor, but arent' as good for focused light so you may need an eyelight. The DVX is really good at balancing for mixed light!
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Oops, didn't look at the links first, I take back the eyelight. First I find your samples poorly lit because that much contrast drama is distracting from the message, but if that is what they want. The daylight to the side with a white bounce reflector should give a hint of fill to the other and then you can heavily light your white back wall, but keep some distance from it, and use a luma key.
 
Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

Re: HELP!   just got hired to shoot an AD !!

How did it go? im guessing the shoot is over and since I missed much here i was not able to answer in time. i havnt seen the ego7 in a while but If you cant get greenscreen, try a big ass black 12ftx12ft piece of felt and stnad teh talent as far away from it as you can and still get the medium shot. Make sure if you can to get zero spilled light from other sources then what you use. use a 300 tota and a chimera light diffuser as close as possible to the talent on one side and use a silver reflector on the opposite side to fill the shadows. if the talent has black hair a small spot on the head will give you a rim to separate it from the background. It will look too dim to shoot from your eye but if you tweak the iris and shutter you will find it will be enough light. this should keep all the light off the black background. Have your talent wear something that will give you contrast from the background and have them keep thier hair closly groomed and you should be able to pull a mat from that setup pretty easily that will suffice for that type of application.
Opp...
 
Back
Top