GROUP BUY: Dracast LED Lights

Curt Pair

Member
These days there are MANY choices in LED Lighting. Over the past few years, many companies have sprouted and vied for your precious dollar. Like many of you, I have to find a balance between quality and price. I found many ‘low cost’ LED lighting companies but the quality of light or the build quality of the instrument wasn't that great.

At NAB 2012, I stumbled into the Dracast booth and was blown away by their LED lighting. There 1000 watt & 500 watt (I call it a 1x1/2) instruments are incredible. A very well respected gaffer that I know was walking by and he stopped at the booth too. Wouldn't you know it, he pulled out his light meter to take some readings. He got 110 foot-candles at eight feet! Other LEDs on the showroom floor were metering about 37 foot-candles at the same distance. (Many dispute the next process, but...) He also pulled out his color meter and got a consistent reading of 5500° Kelvin. In short, we were both impressed. He bought some for his rental house. I bought some for my own use. I've had them for nearly two years and LOVE them. They very well built. They travel very well. (I did make one 'modification' to mine... for the power-supply operation, I made a 'new'/longer 4-pin XLR cable to make operation a little easier!) I did make some suggestions to Dracast along the way and they've taken those to heart; mainly changing the yolk system on the lights to make them more secure. (Their customer service is out of this world! If you have ideas, feel free to share them with Dracast, because they want to make the best products possible!)

I’ve suggested these lights to many friends and peers, who've purchased them on my recommendation. They too have been extremely pleased. The value for the money is terrific! In many cases the "spot" version of daylight only (not bi-color) mimics closely the output of a 200w HMI, at a fraction of the price! I can't wait to try the 2000!

The lights have the following specs and features:
• Strong, aluminum chasis
• Available as flood (60°) or spot (30°)
• Tungsten – daylight – or bi-color
• AC/DC operable
• 4-pin XLR
• V-mount battery
• Gold Mount battery.
• Full Dimmer
• Adjustable/lockable yolk
• Comes with a free nylon soft case/bag
• Accessories include: barn doors, DMX controller, gel packs, etc.

In 2013, Dracast introduced a “2000” watt light. (I’ve jokingly called it a “2x1!”) When it first came out, it was a ‘studio’ light only, as it had no DC options. Dracast got to work and solved that quickly.

Dracast is willing to offer us this “LED2000 Pro Series” at an 18% discount. Right now, they're running a 'promotion' on this light too! You can get a rechargeable battery (capable of 1 hour of operation) with this purchase, absolutely FREE! (A $400 value.)

Dracast is willing to extend the 18% discount to any other product they sell too! (As long as you purchase the LED2000 Pro Series)

They have a video for this light, if you’d like more information. You can also check out their website.

When you purchase, DIRECTLY from the company, fill in the following code (in all caps): 2KGROUP

*Remember, if you’re planning on purchasing other items, make sure you add the LED2000 Pro Series to your order first, or the discount code won’t work.
All orders go DIRECTLY through the company. I'm not involved. I have a good rapport with the company, and many have asked me to try to put together a group purchase for their products. Rodney Miller at Dracast was willing to do this, and I'm very thankful to Rodney and Alan for all of their help and support!
 
Curt, this sounds interesting, but I have a couple questions. Do you know if the soft cases for the LED2000 Pro and for the LED500 Pro have padding to protect the units? I ask because I have had the switches on the backs of some of my other lights damaged while sliding around in the trunk of my car.
Also, do you know if the units have a slot for receiving filters?
-- Ken
 
Curt, this sounds interesting, but I have a couple questions. Do you know if the soft cases for the LED2000 Pro and for the LED500 Pro have padding to protect the units? I ask because I have had the switches on the backs of some of my other lights damaged while sliding around in the trunk of my car.
Also, do you know if the units have a slot for receiving filters?
-- Ken

Ken, the cases are 'somewhat' padded. I will be honest, I've taken my 1000W and 500W lights out of the case they come with and put them into 1550 Pelican's instead. I have to take the yolks off to do it... I actually put the light, in the padded case it comes with, and put THAT entire package into the pelican (with no foam). They've been rock solid like this for two years for me.

The barn doors do indeed have a slot for 'filters'. Dracast sells some. I actually 'made' mine. I took CTO, CTB, etc. cut them to size, made them just a bit smaller and for like $6.00 I took them to Staples and had them laminated. They work great. I also have some 'bare' 216 and opal cut to size too.
 
I'm not making anything. They've just been VERY good to me over the past few years. I think they're a good company. When I've made suggestions, they've taken them to heart, and actually made the product better. I've found not all companies are willing to do this, so when I find good ones, I like to share!

I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars on products I have heard were great, only to be disappointed. I've had people be very nice to me in my journey. This is my way to give back. I found a great product, at a reasonable price and thought I'd share.

The orders go directly through the company. I have no idea how many they've sold.
 
These look like they could be good:

D 1000 operates at the ideal combination of high performance and low power consumption, drawing just 60 watts at a high CRI of 95.

  • We've packed over 1000 LED bulbs into our LED1000 PRO SERIES, giving vastly superior light output of over 12,000 LUX measured at 3 feet.
  • We've built the LED1000 PRO SERIES with a lightweight, all-aluminum frame to ensure maximum durability while maintaining portability
  • The LED1000 PRO SERIES is extremely customizable. Color temperature, beam focus, and battery options can all be chosen by you, meaning you get exactly the light that you need.

THE LED1000 PRO SERIES INCLUDES
Dracast LED1000 PRO SERIES Light
100-240 VAC Power Supply
Nylon Soft Case with shoulder strap and front pocket
Lightweight Mounting Yoke
Dracast 1 Year Warranty
$895.00

Buy 2 Lights - Get 2 Free light Stands
Buy 3 Lights - Get 5% off + Free light stands
Buy 4 lights - Get 7% off + Free Light Stands


Wide, narrow, or variable beam focus.




​
I just came across them, was looking at (and undecided on) the Alzo, am looking for skin rendition samples.
Does anyone have sample video? Do they have a color spike?
Not affiliated with or benefiting from them.
 
groveChuck, I ran into a local gaffer on a shoot last week and found out he is a dealer of these in addition to Kino and Lite Panels. He had a lot of good things to say about them and I'm sure you could arrange a time to get a demo if you don't mind driving North to Davie, FL. Sean Gray of Gray Grip and Electric.
 
I wonder how their fresnels compare to Mole LED fresnels. They're around the same price range, still cheaper than Arri.
 
Back
Top