Green screen: foam backed fabric or painted?

firehawk

Veteran
For a permanent studio what is used most now, foam backed fabric or painted?

I have had good results with foam-backed fabric in the past. It doesn't reflect much light.
But it was only a back wall and floor (no sid walls). But how would you fit it on a green wall that has curved bottoms and side walls too? Do they cut and stitch it?

Also. What is the norm for white cyc, light grey fabric that is blown out by lights or painted walls?

I can see fabric be a problem long term due to dirt, where a painted wall could be cleaned and re-painted.
 
We opted out for Foam backed fabric switching from painted cyc. We had no problems with getting it dirty or reflection as we use 4X4 kinos with 525nm/420nm bulbs for green and blue application. We have solid sections we add to add angles and non-slip surfaces we add on the ground which is made from high quality rubber.

The amount of saturation use does change from camera to camera, Varicam 2700's required max saturation keying with AE but our line of Alexa's require much less with the similar set up.

For white blow out I would recommend using white, not grey. Also for close ups using white set using negative fill will help eliminate not so pleasant shine on sides.

I will post images later on for reference.
 
studio.jpg

a little messy but here is the green screen with foam. I will post images of before after w/talent later on.
 
Last edited:
Thank you emretufekci,

So for white, are you saying you recommend white fabric instead of paint as well?

I always liked foam backed fabric and still have some green.

But I don't see how to curve it when there is a floor, back wall and side wall. It would have to be cut and connected otherwise it would overlap itself on the lower part. So I don't know what is the solution for this.

Seems like even flat paint would bounce more green spill than foam backed fabric
 
For white, we have used cloth, didnt really see the need for a white wall (not working on empirical data here for choice) . On the green we have firm panels that we put on the floor at 5 degree angle hiding the frame.

We dont really need side panels as the frame is 20X20, large enough fpor almost anything we do. I will post a pic when I am back at the shop showing this set up.
 
Back
Top