Grading of my music video

Orangeday

Member
hello,

I shot a music video last friday.
The cut is almost finished (I only want to change small things) but since I dont have any grafic card and exporting and rendering takes hours, I've uploaded a downsized preview here:
edit: new version
http://youtu.be/0oBC-XBNQdY

can someone help me how to grade it so it looks nice and professional, like in a high budget music videos of for example the rihanna videos?
I found some tutorials on youtube, but in all of them the result looks really unprofessional and overdone
 
Last edited:
hello,

I shot a music video last friday.
The cut is almost finished (I only want to change small things) but since I dont have any grafic card and exporting and rendering takes hours, I've uploaded a downsized preview here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MhOb3kUOeU

can someone help me how to grade it so it looks nice and professional, like in a high budget music videos of for example the rihanna videos?
I found some tutorials on youtube, but in all of them the result looks really unprofessional and overdone

Grading is of course part of the final look, but there are many more reasons why your video won't EVER look like a Rihanna video.

Maybe watch some BTS footage and see what might come into play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COq3PNUWdUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiuTN5vbGp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYl_Euupqiw
 
"...how to grade it so it looks nice and professional, like in a high budget music videos..."

Well, the obvious answer is to hire a high-budget professional colorist, but I assume that's not what you had in mind. The overall high production-value in most music videos is a combination of lots of effort by numerous high-budget pros - lighting, sound, DP, set design, etc.

Color-grading is a bit of an art form and needs much more than a plug-in, filter, or process for your NLE. You can find numerous tutorials on color-grading by browsing the usual channels.


Jim
ColorBurst Video
 
Grading is of course part of the final look, but there are many more reasons why your video won't EVER look like a Rihanna video.
even if I didnt have all that quipmend they had in your links, it should be possible to grade slog2 footage in a better way I did. And I saw a loot of totally overdone and bad looking grading tutorials which are not the style I want it. So to describe the style I like, I used an example (rihanna). In high budget videos they always have a nice grading style, with a surreal special look. I dont think that all my shots are so badly lit and composed that there is no possibility to improve the look with a good grading technique, so whats the point of such a response if someone asks for help to learn?
"you will NEVER EVER..." bahhhhh


Color-grading is a bit of an art form and needs much more than a plug-in, filter, or process for your NLE. You can find numerous tutorials on color-grading by browsing the usual channels.
if you have some nice tutorials I would be really happy to see them. the most of the tutorials I saw are not what I wanted, the outcome never looks like in a professional video
 
Hi
I see you are asking for help and wanting a different kind of answer than you are getting. First I am not an expert... So this is just an opinion, a very ordinary one. But you asked.

The shots with the guys in front of the graffiti have the singers and the background blended. I notice in Rihanna's videos that they often pop the object that they want your eye to follow. So maybe tone down the background and pop the singers. Then I also notice that they go with two or three different looks within one video. So maybe put a certain color tone look on another part of the video. Then maybe the third look is just really well done color corrected video where it is yummy because it was so well done. Then you have three looks but no plain old video look. Just a short comment on style for you. The first suggestion is done with masking which Premiere has. The second with an adjustment layer. The last with everything a master colorist would do and have but you do the best you can.

I hope something in this answer is useful. Best of luck.
 
Back
Top