colebennett
Active member
Greetings!
I've got a friend who owns a couple of skateboard and surf shops. He wants to be able to quickly photograph new products he gets in, and upload them to his website.
I'm a professional photographer, which I feel may be to the demise of offering pertinent advice to my friend, since I've got my way of shooting and it's not cheap. He needs a system where he can flip the on switch - and fire away as new products come into the shop.
He'd be shooting things like:
- Skateboards
- T-Shirts and Hoodies
- Other Swag
Here's what I'm thinking of suggesting, whilst admitting I have no direct experience with the equipment. I should also mention that he wants to spend "Around $1000", though I think he'd cough up more if he saw the value (and he may have to).
1. Canon T2i
2. 50mm 1.8
3. Tripod
4. An imported from Hong Kong affordable Fluorescent constant lighting kit (3 heads, and large softboxes or octabanks.)
5. A white backdrop kit
6. A table top set up - with option to swap out white and black plexiglass
7. Adobe Lightroom 4
For the set-up involving people, I'll suggest flat lighting with maybe a 1:6 ratio, and a light blasted on the white backdrop to erase any wrinkles.
For smaller objects, like shoes and accessories I'll suggest the table top option. I don't have a lot of experience with table-top - so suggestions on lighting for that would be great.
Anyway - I'd love to get a discussion going on this.
- Cole
I've got a friend who owns a couple of skateboard and surf shops. He wants to be able to quickly photograph new products he gets in, and upload them to his website.
I'm a professional photographer, which I feel may be to the demise of offering pertinent advice to my friend, since I've got my way of shooting and it's not cheap. He needs a system where he can flip the on switch - and fire away as new products come into the shop.
He'd be shooting things like:
- Skateboards
- T-Shirts and Hoodies
- Other Swag
Here's what I'm thinking of suggesting, whilst admitting I have no direct experience with the equipment. I should also mention that he wants to spend "Around $1000", though I think he'd cough up more if he saw the value (and he may have to).
1. Canon T2i
2. 50mm 1.8
3. Tripod
4. An imported from Hong Kong affordable Fluorescent constant lighting kit (3 heads, and large softboxes or octabanks.)
5. A white backdrop kit
6. A table top set up - with option to swap out white and black plexiglass
7. Adobe Lightroom 4
For the set-up involving people, I'll suggest flat lighting with maybe a 1:6 ratio, and a light blasted on the white backdrop to erase any wrinkles.
For smaller objects, like shoes and accessories I'll suggest the table top option. I don't have a lot of experience with table-top - so suggestions on lighting for that would be great.
Anyway - I'd love to get a discussion going on this.
- Cole