First draft Album cover

scharky

Veteran
So I have been working on this album cover for a solo artist. He hired me about a month ago, had a great idea and we worked out a great way to get that idea across. Please any constructive criticism is welcome as I still have changes to make and some fine tuning to do.
Front%20copy5proof.jpg
 
I like it a lot, the vibe and feeling, but the plane looks overly fake. Otherwise I think it works very well. Nice job!
 
I agree about the plane...the wings look too clean, very much like a fresh 3D render from a student type project. Also, I'm not diggin the "Shoot you down" type and the layout of said type. I think it fights with your composition too much.

What font did you use?
 
I like the color scheme very nice. I think Jeremy is right about the plane... maybe some motion blur or a little noise (I say noise becuase the bottom wings look too smooth and could use a touch of texture). Also I think the name of the artist could be placed in a different spot or maybe it needs some light shadow around it to make it pop. Other then that, looks great.
 
scharky, can you expand a little bit on the concept?
Was the concept conceived around the song's title "Shoot you down"?
To me it is a little harsh, something like this guy is bad.. "shoots planes down"...hehe, you get my point. He is looking down like he doesn't want to see the plane falling...
 
I think it looks great, I also think that the artist's name should be more prominent though. Maybe closer to the "Shoot you down" title, and I think both the title and the artist's name should be slightly larger. I think it looks great otherwise though, very professional, and the image of him and the piano looks superb.
 
Zim said:
I would use a modern jet. Those old planes don't sell!

I disagree, a modern jet would not fit well with this concept. The desk/piano (whatever it is) that he is sitting at is very nostalgic, not modern at all. The curves and style of furntiture reminds of me of the 20/30's, somewhat deco but with that old english type flair to it. The color pallette compliments this nostalgic feeling as well, slightly sepia but not to the point where it's cliche. The landscape has the feeling of the dustbowl era but with a little more soul. The plane fits perfectly, it's just too new looking on the wings. Juxtapose that against the newer more modern clothes he is wearing and you have a nice album cover...I'm not sure what musical style he is, but this says to me that he is a singer/songwriter in the style of Ben Folds or other similar artists.

The only complaint is the typography, other than that, the piece hits the nail on the head.
 
Looks perfect; wow !

The fonts

I would make them a lighter contrasting color.

I would make the artists name a bit larger.

Overall great job. Very stylized
 
I like it, it's got a surrealistic vibe, which I dig a lot. I would actually make it even more surrealistic. Get some Dali elements in there.
 
1168030178.jpg


I don't think the plane needs to be photorealistic. It has a hyper-real meets Daliesque feel to it. It is a very surreal image. I've played with fonts / color / position.

e
 
I really like the look, has a sortof timeless classic look. The text is an issue though. Made me think (and hunt down) a Humble Pie cover. You might want to put on the propeller with motion. The front of the plane looks a little... plain. I do like overlandfilms text better than the straight text you have.
 
Wow, well i just got in my room in Vegas and opened up DVX user to find all these great responses. Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. It is supposed to be hyper real, this was the artists concept, basically he told me that he wanted himself playing a piano in a field, a biplane crashing to the ground behind him.
I agree that the plane needs a little more work, that is my project for tonight. He also gave me feedback about the fonts, thanks for the font selection Overland, which font is that?
I'll post up the final when I'm done.
Again, it is greatly appreciated that you took the time to post your feedback, it helps so much.
 
Back
Top