firestore?

A firestore is a camera mountable device that records DV (or HDV now) directly from the firewire output on a camera, to a hard drive in the firestore unit. You could use it to record DV with the HVX, but not DVCPRO HD.

Just saw this thread and thought I would chime in briefly.
The Firestore (in my case the FS-100) indeed does record DVCPRO HD from the HVX. This is THE reason that I got it in the first place because of the limited size of the P2 storage (and price). It even says "DVCPRO HD" on the unit.
It is an awesome device and I am so glad that I have it. The latest firmware upgrade expands its capabilities even further. Check out the Focus Enhancements website for more info.

Hope this helps.

Just saw this thread and thought I would chime in briefly.
The Firestore (in my case the FS-100) indeed does record DVCPRO HD from the HVX. This is THE reason that I got it in the first place because of the limited size of the P2 storage (and price). It even says "DVCPRO HD" on the unit.
It is an awesome device and I am so glad that I have it. The latest firmware upgrade expands its capabilities even further. Check out the Focus Enhancements website for more info.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, but doesn't it bug you that if you want to record Native, er excuse me, that would be simulated Native with your Firestore, that you can't play those clips back with their audio on set from the Firestore like you can clips recorded in other modes? That's a pretty major drag and I was definitely disappointed to find out that detail which wasn't prominently announced when the upgrade to record "Native" came out.

I'm really surprised to learn that you can record DVCPRO HD to a Firestore from the HVX. Do you know if it has a 7200RPM drive inside, and can it be formatted as NTFS?

You can, but you can ONLY do this from the FS-100. No other version of the FireStore will work. The FS-100 was designed specifically to work with DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO-HD.

I'm really surprised to learn that you can record DVCPRO HD to a Firestore from the HVX. Do you know if it has a 7200RPM drive inside, and can it be formatted as NTFS?

The firestore is indeed a hdd, but also comes with proprietary software that controls the workflow. Personally I HIGHLY recommend the FS. I shoot standard modes direct to FS and switch to P2 for variable frames or 24 over 60 etc. My biggest beef is that the FS is either PAL or NTSC - which sucks for someone like me who works so often in both.

Back