Filter question - double threaded?

USLatin

Panamaniac
This may be a weird question but, here goes it:

Are there filters with threads on both sides which may allow you to mount more than one filter at a time? I don't want to have to get a matte box. And all I want are a UV filter and a circular polarizer.

Also, are UV filters of the type that absorbs light? If so I guess it would be fine to put it either in front or behind the Pola and it wouldn't matter, right?
 
Hey Latin ... I always have a UV on my lenses if for nothing else, to protect them. But yes, they absorb .. or block, UV but let visible light pass. I have taken exact same setting photos with and without the UV filter and cannot tell a difference .. as it should be.

All filters to my knowledge have the male thread to screw it onto the lense and a female thread on the front of the filters to stack them.

Larry
 
All filters to my knowledge have the male thread to screw it onto the lense and a female thread on the front of the filters to stack them.

Larry

Cool. I never worried about circulars enough to check and only owned my B+W UV till now.


Can someone corroborate that there won't be an issue with stacking UV and ND? And if there is a preferred order?
 
I'm pretty sure that the slim filters don't have female threading. Also, watch out when stacking, you can get some serious vignetting, especially with wide angle lenses. You are going to loose more light when stacking too. If all you are are going to be using is a circular polarizer and UV, I would just switch them out when needed.

Allen
 
Works fine and most filters are double threaded. Three concerns when stackig filters;

- Loss of sharpness
- Trapped light bouncing around (if taking pictures of an over exposed sun or bright light sources)
- Vignetting due to the FOV being blocked
 
Last edited:
Back
Top