Filming in City Streets

stidle

Active member
I have lived in arguably "dangerous" areas of Pittsburgh my entire life and have used common sense and stealth to avoid getting mugged or otherwise harassed.

But now that I have a $2500 camera, I'm a little wary. I want to shoot the place that I grew up, I want to capture those vulnerable, rusting parts of the city that make it unique...but I am seriously worried about getting my equipment jacked.

At the same time, this seems like an absolutely ludicrous fear, seeing that there are cameramen who have filmed warzones, ghettos much worse than the places I want to film, etc...(The film "Dark Days" comes to mind.)

Any suggestions on staying safe while shooting in the city?
-matt
 
Any suggestions on staying safe while shooting in the city?

Take someone with you that can be your eyes while you're (quickly) setting up. You don't want to give someone the chance to sneak up on you and grab your stuff. It's better if they're big, and look like they can handle themselves. Take only minimal equipment.

Don't shoot at night.

Get in, get the shot, and get out. 5 minutes, max. Two is better.

Always have an escape plan.
 
That was my same trouble in Naples, IT. That's why I escaped in Japan to film the streets!
In Naples I could get a police escort but I had to pay a fee and filming with a police car behind not always is the best fitting to choot in such particular places...

I gave up.

Still now I am very worry to film out of Japan...
 
Yeah. Someone big. Possibly even better, someone big who is a cop (off duty, in uniform, paid with permission of the city...since you'll be getting a permit, too, right?)

Or maybe even better, if it's a "bad" area of town, find the local badass and hire *him* for the day. Probably cheap, since he'll be credited, and ego is often better than money for some.
 
i've filmed in some very sketchy situations, hoods of tampa, orlando, philly, pittsburgh, dc, all cities in nc, prague and some other sketchy situations, but luckily i've always had a few guys with me but we were on bmx bikes and the kids and such wanted to see stunts and that keeps people entertained and keeps their focus away from my bag and a photographers bag. and most people that would be in those places(during daytime) are probably stoked on being on tv or whatever you are filming for. so take atleast 1 person with you for eyes, but i wouldnt worry too much as long as you arent late night or anything. but dont try and cause a lot of attention.
 
GenJerDan said:
Yeah. Someone big. Possibly even better, someone big who is a cop (off duty, in uniform, paid with permission of the city...since you'll be getting a permit, too, right?)
Comedy. :)

-Nate
 
Just hire my buddy Brian:
NearDeathExperienceSmall.jpg
 
I spent three years in Pittsburgh back in the early 80's when I worked at WPXI-TV there. A few suggestions: Make sure your equipment is insured. If you're using you camera professionally, your homeowner's policy probably WILL NOT cover loss or damage to your equipment. Second, (especially at night or in rough areas) have at least one other person with you to act as a second pair of eyes. Third, be sure to let someone know where you're going and what time you'll be back. Fourth, carry a cell phone with you (just in case) and pepper spray and/or a small stun gun. Don't carry a lot of money or credit cards and dress appropriately to blend in.

During the LA riots back in 1991, camera crews were an easy target for thugs. I was shooting for CBS News and carried pepper spray and my .45 Colt auto. My soundman, Ed Springer, was carrying his .357 magnum. For some reason, nobody ever bothered us...

Mike Parker
www.mp-tv.com
 
I like Mikes advice except about a stun gun. If you are not trained and do not have a big enough stun gun, all you will do is annoy the people you wish to stop. You still have to catch them first... And you could find yourself facing same legal sanctions as if you shot someone using a real gun. I prefer a Glock. Insure your equipment and the Glock is for YOUR protection. I think of mine as a single-premium fully paid-up life insurance policy.
 
Bring more than one person along. If you plan to make a habit out of it, you might want to think about applying for a right to carry permit. It can be time consuming, but it might save you money/life.
 
Most of these seem like reasonable suggestions, but I have to take issue with the suggestion of carrying a gun.

I don't want this to devolve (evolve?) into a political discussion, but don't you think that the likelihood of a confrontation turning deadly increases about 100-fold when you introduce a gun into it -- regardless of whether or not the offending party also has one?

If you get stuck up at gunpoint for your equipment, so be it. You fork it over and get left alone. I will have it insured just in case that happens anyway.

If you get stuck up at gunpoint for your equipment and you whip out a gun...you run the very possible risk of being injured or even killed.

Mace seems like a decent middle-ground.
 
stidle said:
Most of these seem like reasonable suggestions, but I have to take issue with the suggestion of carrying a gun.

I don't want this to devolve (evolve?) into a political discussion, but don't you think that the likelihood of a confrontation turning deadly increases about 100-fold when you introduce a gun into it -- regardless of whether or not the offending party also has one?

If you get stuck up at gunpoint for your equipment, so be it. You fork it over and get left alone. I will have it insured just in case that happens anyway.

If you get stuck up at gunpoint for your equipment and you whip out a gun...you run the very possible risk of being injured or even killed.

Mace seems like a decent middle-ground.
Nonsense poopy pants. If anybody comes within 3 feet of you you're supposed to just whip it out and start shooting. Shoot first-as questions later.
 
Besides which, as silly as it sounds, you're more likely to be sued for using mace than a gun. (Pepper spray, more likely...you'll need a permit for real mace.)

Someone standing there with a Mastiff on a leash would work well to keep folks away, if you can't find a big scary guy. :)
 
As a lover of action films it may be ironic but in real life I don't believe in using violence unless it's really needed. The problem is too many people want to be "hard". If a guy pulls a gun on you and you can get a shot off first, then I'd say cap him. Better you than you.

You have every right to shoot your movie, he has no right to stick you up. Another thing is too many people are willing to just kill you and take your gear. I live in a decent middle class neighborhood but I wouldn't shoot here because I still suffer from the stigma of how things used to be here. And even though 99% of the people here are not theives that 1% is still suspect. Not to mention I live here. If I could shoot around here and drive away that would actually be better for me. But if someone wanted my equipment they could break in and take it because they know where I stay. Seriously, you have a less chance of someone following you out of the hood then you do of them trying to get you while there. I'm all for packing heat if needed but I'm also for responsible use. There's a lot more to guns than just point and shoot. You must educate yourself in use and other aspects to prenvent accidents. Also where will you carry your gun so you can get to it in time. If I lived in LA I'd probably have a concealed carry permit just in case.

-Nate
 
Hey, buy some "Security" Shirts and hats off ebay, maybe 20 bucks for a pair of each, give it to a guy to wear and follow you around. Nothing illegal about that, if anyone asks just say their security guards, cops already know its just a t-shirt and its legal to wear. It tricks people well.
 
Gosh I am gonna weigh in once more.

If someone if pointing a gun at you, you do not "whip yours out". It is too late, and will likely get you shot dead. If they have one in their hand (not pointed at you) and you do not, it is also probably too late. Quit believing what you see on TV. A super-fast pistol competitor with a competition holster can draw his gun in about 0.7 seconds. I can get 3-5 shots off in that time.

But a gun is a great thing to bring to a knife fight. It is a great thing to bring to a mugging, when there are several guys or just one much bigger than you. It is a great thing to have in your car in a wide variety of circumstances, including being followed or surrounded once you have retreated to your car. It is a great thing to make you feel relatively safe in dangerous circumstances, and muggers smell fear. Only a small percentage of street criminals will have a gun, because the penalties increase substantially in many states. Quite often, just the fact that you do not cower away will encourage them to select another victim. This is especially true for female victims. At some point, even for thieves, flipping burgers is better than risking getting shot. It is a great thing to have if you have to protect someone else, while the mugger is focused on that person, giving you time to get your weapon. It may even be useful after you get shot, to keep from getting shot again.

Anyone who gets a CCW permit generally takes a class on both legal and practical points of when to use it. Reckless use of a weapon is a great way to spend 30-50 years in prison.

Whether you choose to be able to defend yourself or rely on the kindness of strangers is your own personal choice in most states. The best choice is to be somewhere else.

[End of class]
 
Guys, get a life, get laid, dont get a gun!!!! for real, that is about the worst advice i have ever heard. More guns means more guns and if you wana get shot join the army, i hear there are lots of opportunities there for the moment.
Peace :thumbsup:
 
"But a gun is a great thing to bring to a knife fight. It is a great thing to bring to a mugging,"

The assumption that a mugging is going to be a knife fight rather than a gun fight is dangerous. Even if there is only a 1/10 chance that the mugger will have a gun, it is not a chance that I'd like to take. Why not just be confident WITHOUT a weapon and get your equipment insured in the chance that you are stuck up?

The fact is that I have a much slighter chance of getting killed if I DON'T have a weapon -- because the main reason excessive force will be used is because the robber will feel that HIS life is threatened when he sees your gun.

"The best choice is to be somewhere else."

This may be true, but the fact is that these are environments that are worth documenting.

Furthermore, as for the "ghetto," and the notion that you absolutely MUST possess a gun to exist in it: these are environments in which millions of people live every day. Regular people. Do you think that every mother, son, and grandparent is packing heat 24/7 just to survive? Do you honestly believe that completely random murders are such a common thing in "bad areas" that you must lurk vigiliantly, in perpetual anticipation of your death, while you are in them? The fact is that if you are not mixed up in drugs, weapons, or sexual affairs, you have a much slighter chance of being shot -- even in the midst of the toughest neighborhoods in America -- as being hit by a car.

And that's that. I'm not debating this anymore.
 
No, don't get a gun, thats the dumbest thing you can do. That security idea is the best one, do it believe me nothing will happen. Strap one of those belts on him too, and he'll look authentic.
 
Back
Top