FCPX, 4K, Multicam and new 15.4" MacBook Pro:

Elmer_Lang

Well-known member
Hi


I will soon be looking to buy a new MBPro. I was curious what others' experience has been:


Probably in a 1080p project:
Can the new MBP 15.4", 2.8ghz handle 4K?
Can it handle 2 layer multicam 4K? How many multicam layers are possible of 4K?


Also: Is the retina display helpful or a problem for video editing?
I ask because seems like a couple years ago when I almost bought they had one option that was not advised for video editing, something to do with the display.

Any other expectations, limitations, I should be aware of?

best
elmer
 
Last edited:
really depends on the camera/file format....i have the maxed out top of the line 2014 mbp and i can't work with 5k raw red epic files in projects with a 4k timeline...4k sony XAVC-I files from the FS7 are a different story....i get giddy loading up 4k timelines with layer after layer, effects, 60fps, i have a really hard time to get it to even skip a frame....
the latest version might be a tad faster, same vram but some under the hood optimizing tweaking magic.......new metal graphics machine in 10.11 might speed things up a bit more as well, but it is still a portable...
you should be able to take an external drive with media into your apple store and check out performance...they let you work with files, just won't let you install apps....fcpx should be installed...
 
Back
Top