Fast RAID or new PC first?

jjb

Well-known member
I've started to edit a music video using the multi cam feature of EDIUS Broadcast and I realized that my good old P4 3.4GHz PC has some difficulties to cope with (even with a dedicated video disk).

Should I buy a fast external RAID unit (with an eSata adapter) or must I start with a new PC? I'm not happy about Windows Vista and would like to postpone such an investment until most of the software products are compatible with Vista.

I really appreciate your suggestions.
 
Open up Task Manager and look at the Performance tab -- if the CPU is maxed out and the disk drive LEDs are just flickering, then a faster CPU is going to be a better investment. If the CPU is not pegged at 100% and the disk drive LEDs are constantly, upgrade your storage subsystem first.
 
Thanks for your hint. The average CPU utilization is 70%. I assume that a RAID unit would be a good investment to survive until a purchase of a new PC. Even with a new PC I will have to buy an external RAID storage system.
 
THoff's advice is straight-on.

Realtime video editing in EDIUS is a balance between disk throughput and CPU utilization.

If you're working with large streams (Canopus HQ = 120-160 Mbps average = 15-20 MB/sec per stream) or a lot of simultaneous streams, then disk throughput will be your limiting factor.

If you're working with more complex formats (HDV, Windows Media), or a lot of effects, then CPU power will be your limiting factor.

Brandon
 
Thanks bhiga - this supports what I was assuming. I'm working with DVCPro HD 50-100 Mbps and several streams but no sophisticated effects.
 
If your editing HD then I honestly think you need a new PC. I also had 3.4 and was comfortable with it while doing SD. When doing HD work, it came in short. To be precise, you need a new CPU, a dual core, a new MB to support this and ram preferably 2 gig DDR2 and dual channel. if you have eide drives spinning at 7200 rpms you may be able to still use them.

Ted
 
Back
Top