Falang: Behind Bangkok's Smile

bustak

Well-known member
Has anyone seen the documentary "Falang: Behind Bangkok's Smile"?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488537/

It's a documentary that focuses on a 18 year old bargirl in Bangkok. The voice over from the filmmaker is pretty preachy @ times, but his narrative style was pretty good & he really hit gold with his subject (a girl named Pla).

Actually I'm not one who really likes voice overs, I think you're better off showing, instead of saying. Let people discover the message for them self, no need to spoon feed them your agenda!

The ending really pulled @ my heart strings.

Overall he did a GREAT job, it looks like a 1-man shoot for the most part, so I commend him for that BIG time!

I wonder if he used the DVX100 to shoot it, I kind of think he did. I can't find any in-depth technical info on this movie.

I would really like to hear from other members that has seen it!
 
actually I got a clue on the camera used for this production:
1167717789.jpg

If doesn't look like the DVX100b, I think it might be a CANON GL2. What do you guys think?
 
bustak said:
The voice over from the filmmaker is pretty preachy @ times, but his narrative style was pretty good & he really hit gold with his subject (a girl named Pla).

Actually I'm not one who really likes voice overs, I think you're better off showing, instead of saying. Let people discover the message for them self, no need to spoon feed them your agenda!
I would like to retract this statement.

I was talking to someone @ work about this movie, & through our discussion I changed my mind on the filmmakers choice of using a voice-over.

This documentary was about a girl the filmmaker knew personally, so I think it's OK he put in his own perspectives & thoughts. There is a fine line that a filmmaker can cross when he develops a genuine care/concern for his subject & I honestly think Jordan Clark (the director) was pretty balanced all things considering!

Just my $.02!
 
Now that you mentioned it im going to check it out. Im heading over to thailand this summer. Im still deciding if I want to bring my brand new DVX , Pretty risky
 
Back
Top