EVF for the 700

I recommend the Alphatron, it's a great EVF. Only issue, as stated, is the sun damages it quickyl if you are not careful. I have had my screen replaced once, and it's currently being replaced again. But, I was told that they are updating it at no cost, as they should, and it will be a lot safer to use in the sun.
 
We got our first Alphatron a couple of months ago. It came with the standard (non mirrored) lens in the eyepiece. The eyepiece adjustment would not quite allow my 40 year old eyes to see the screen in sharp focus. It came close - but was just a bit short of travel to let me see the EVF screen properly. I went to the Alphatron website and emailed them. Rene at Alphatron promptly replied and sent a replacement lens for the EVF eyepiece that was both stronger in magnification, and, had a mirrored surface to reduce/stop sun damage. The lens received was easy to change and I can now see the screen properly. Rene sent the lens quickly and at no charge. We were so impressed with the Alphatron and the customer service that we just purchased a second Alphatron EVF a few days ago from B&H. It arrived with the standard non-mirrored lens. We contacted Rene and he is sending another hi-power mirrored lens, again at no charge.

We use these with the Solid Camera EVF mount (the 15mm rod mount version, not the dovetail mount version).

The EVF and mount both work very well in our opinion.
 
I use the Aphatron with the edelkrone EVF mount and just wanted to say that it's a surprisingly good way of mounting a monitor or evf on the standard handle's cold shoe.
 
Paul,

Re the vmount battery. Busted out my 2nd old one (2007), its dead too. So ordered another 7s without piggyback :( and ASSUMED (incorrectly) that it would give a battery percentage since it was coming in the fs700 power socket (but then why would it, power is power) :( I did get a swit from olaf to run the alpahtron from within the fs700 battery area using a 2.5mm tap, but again, hoping once its plugged in AND the vmount is plugged into the power socket, that the fs uses the vmount as prefence. This might work out well as an auto switcing backup as well if the alpahtron hasn't sucked the life out of the swit before I need it too. (has a 4 bar meter on it). I saw your right angle bnc too, going to have to get one, though not using a nanoflash, it will just keep it out of the way. I had a flexible skinny sdi cable made up for the alphatron thats been working pretty nice skiing backwards with it (not sure it would take a fall though)

So I now have two vmount 7s (that don't piggyback) and two swit's (that can dc supply the alphatron). Its handy that in compact shoulder mount 1 swit will do the fs700 and alphatron (not for very long) whilst moving the weight to the back (from the alphatron).
Then for fuller longer shouldermount, use the vmount for fs700 and so long as vmount goes to fs700 power, then I can mount the swit where the regular NP sony is, and just power the alphatron (fs700 won't draw from it while vmount is plugged in).

The only bummer is I was hoping when the vmount ran out of power if my swit still had juice, it would failover to the swit (where I would see the 100% battery lie come on), but sadly when I pull the vmount cord where it goes into the fs700 power socket, the fs700 just immediately looses power. I can then turn it on and it will use the swit already in place, and will auto switch back to a fresh vmount when you plug the power cord back in still running. which I guess is faster recovery slightly than grabbing your other vmount. But with no warning on the lcd from either, its manual light monitoring checking on both.

Good for weight distribution though.
 
We got our first Alphatron a couple of months ago. It came with the standard (non mirrored) lens in the eyepiece. The eyepiece adjustment would not quite allow my 40 year old eyes to see the screen in sharp focus. It came close - but was just a bit short of travel to let me see the EVF screen properly. I went to the Alphatron website and emailed them. Rene at Alphatron promptly replied and sent a replacement lens for the EVF eyepiece that was both stronger in magnification, and, had a mirrored surface to reduce/stop sun damage. The lens received was easy to change and I can now see the screen properly. Rene sent the lens quickly and at no charge. We were so impressed with the Alphatron and the customer service that we just purchased a second Alphatron EVF a few days ago from B&H. It arrived with the standard non-mirrored lens. We contacted Rene and he is sending another hi-power mirrored lens, again at no charge.

We use these with the Solid Camera EVF mount (the 15mm rod mount version, not the dovetail mount version).

The EVF and mount both work very well in our opinion.

Ernest do you notice any lag with the Alphatron?
 
Sanjin,

The delay to our Marshall monitors and the Alphatron is very slight in our opinion. It does not adversely effect our use of the FS700 - mostly event and music videos.

Regards
 
Sanjin,

The delay to our Marshall monitors and the Alphatron is very slight in our opinion. It does not adversely effect our use of the FS700 - mostly event and music videos.

Regards

Thx.

Are you using the HDMI or HDSDI? Have you tried both is there a difference in lag between on and the other?
 
Sanjin,

We only use the SDI for the Alphatrons/monitor/camera. The HDMI ports (any HDMI port - not just Alphatron's) are just too prone to jiggle loose in our experience.
 
Back
Top