Edius users, what do you like the best?

I'm curious, I'm a FCP user and looking at Edius, I am wondering why people choose it given the options of FCP, Adobe, Avid, Vegas, etc.

So for you Edius users, what makes you an Edius user? What do you wish would be added to it?
 
I don't do hardly any editing anymore, but when I do, I use EDIUS because it is lightning fast and it supports every format the way the manufacturer intended it to be supported. Native codecs, using native file formats, means no transcoding or rewrapping or anything like that, and it's blazing quick. I can play five streams of DVCPRO-HD on my laptop simultaneously on EDIUS, and it can even handle a stream of AVC-Intra in realtime.
 
Indeed, what attracts me is the speed. I used to be a Premiere guy, but a good friend of mine told me about Edius a couple of years ago and now... premiere is collecting dust.
 
It’s all about speed, Stablity and the ability to throw just about anything in the timline and press play. Version 5 is really raising the bar. It may not have some of the intricate details of FC but it's making up big ground fast. One thing I would love to see is a masking tool, a tracking tool and the ability to edit 10bit.
 
I've used premiere in our facility for 9 years, starting with our bravado from truevision, then miros then matrox digisuite, even when we had our storm cards we still edited with premiere, we shifted to EDIUS since adobe began pro-2 which had that annoying conforming audio and heavy hardware requirements, since then we never looked back, with 5 edit bays in our facility using varying canopus cards and EDIUS. They are STABLE, FAST, RELIABLE.

We have 2 JVC HDxx series cams,Sony HD1000, 2 DVXs and other SD cams from panny and sony, EDIUS eats various frame rates, resolutions, codecs, everyday without problems.

AND best of all EDIUS runs on PC. I live in PC country, i have assembled all our workstations from scratch with pieces i can buy anywhere unlike mac.
 
Last edited:
I'm using pentium 4 technology to cut HPX500 P2 1080P footages and I have yet to see Edius freeze or crash on me. Not so with Premiere. Be it FCP, Premiere, Avid, Vegas, Edius, Etc...they all pretty much achieve the same thing. All the "blings" of each software is a matter of preference and needs. Getting the job done and done smoothly without lots of frustrations on constant starts and restarting is more important for my purpose. Edius has served me well and that's who I will stick with. That's not to say that I'm kicking Premiere's azz out the door. It has it's place but on a rare occasion.

Invest in Edius and you'll be glad you did.
 
I'm from Avid Liquid but switched to Edius about 6 mths ago. Avid killed Liquid by sending it to the consumer realm. When you invest time learning an app it's longevity is important. You don't want to turn around and learn a new program every time one goes down.

Since using Edius I find it works! Everything is very intuitive and rock solid. The more I use it the more I like it.
 
It just works.

Speed, stability, consistent DVD authoring, mixed format, fanatastic P2 integration, multi-cam, customisation of interface, speed of edit via endless shortcuts, tight and simple installation.

It reads like the poor un-marketed cousin of other NLE's but it's the real deal.

How about this: 28hr edit of P2 based multi-cam with 5 cameras, 120min timeline, 10hrs of footage. Not one glitch, quirk or fart through to DVD.

What do we think should be added to it? Apart from a better titler and better audio plug-ins - NOTHING. I think an editing package should stand-alone and not try and be a jack of all trades.

If I want fancy stuff, AE and PS work fine in isolation.
 
Last edited:
I use both Avid Media Composer (I have two suites now with the older 2.8 versions) and Edius.

I love Edius for the ability to throw 1080 60i, 1080 30p, 720 24p, 720 30p, AVC, Sony EX Cam, HDV you name it all on the same time line and start cutting it without converting it.

In my older versions of Avid I'd have to convert all the footage to one format wich is very time consuming to be able to cut it all on the same time line.

For the advanced effects I'll use Avid.

I'm a P2 shooter the integration is great.
 
I'm curious, I'm a FCP user and looking at Edius, I am wondering why people choose it given the options of FCP, Adobe, Avid, Vegas, etc.

So for you Edius users, what makes you an Edius user? What do you wish would be added to it?


Could you explain why you use FCP?

I was an Edius user for about 2 years. I installed it on a 2.8 GHZ Celeron system back in 2004 and saw sparks fly. It is indeed very fast and can handle mixed formats very well. I like the GUI of Premiere Pro much better than Edius and stated if PP had the RT of Edius I would prefere to use PP. On a 2.8 GHZ Celeron PP could not even do a decent transition.

That was then and this is now.

I built a Core 2 Duo system in 2006 and have been using Premiere Pro ever since. I can add titles, CC and transitions all in RT using a DV convert like I used with Edius. The RT preview of PP looks great but Edius is true RT and not just a preview. I will admit some of my RT previews using PP looked better than the true RT of Edius. As CPUs get faster I see Premiere Pro out shining Edius.

Edius had a great head start but in my opinion Premiere has taken the lead. The GUI of Premiere Pro rocks and the integration with the other Adobe Programs make it a real threat to Final Cut Studio. Some of the Edius filters are interesting. I still like the chrominance filter and old movie filter of Edius.
 
Wow I totally disagree with you

Wow I totally disagree with you

I built a Core 2 Duo system in 2006 and have been using Premiere Pro ever since. I can add titles, CC and transitions all in RT using a DV convert like I used with Edius. The RT preview of PP looks great but Edius is true RT and not just a preview. I will admit some of my RT previews using PP looked better than the true RT of Edius. As CPUs get faster I see Premiere Pro out shining Edius.

I would have to absolutely disagree. I was raised on Adobe Software and I do love it, However I would have to say that Premiere, while my comfortable and familiar editing environment, is probably the weakest link, and has only gotten increasingly unreliable and buggy with each new release.
If you have heard of any issue in CS3 chances are I have had it. Oddly enough, mainly with Premiere. Anything from: Random Crashes, Spotty Audio Playback with HDV, and insanely slow loading times if I open a web page while editing. My machine isn't lack luster by any means and adobe software really has no excuse. I have given Premiere a chance on XP, Vista, 32 bit, and 64bit you name it, I have tried it. I still get titler crashes, bad audio playback issues, random freeze and crashes, no scene detect on hdv capturing. it seems as Adobe broadens its scope of software support it lessens it support and development for whats already available. I honestly felt Cs3 wasn't finished when it was released.
All that venting just to finish with, I am considering heavily a move to Edius. I will continue to utilize all my cs3 software aside from premiere, but word on the street is that Edius is stable and that is kind of an obvious selling point IMO for video editing- "stability to work" not, "work for stability"
 
I love edius I shoot on p2 99.9% of the time and love the integration. My apprehension is to upgrade. I am running 4.6 on a Canopus built turnkey system and its rock solid. Everytime I read about the new updates there is always issues, so I guess my question is should I spring for the 5.x upgrade or stay stable and keep working?
 
I would have to absolutely disagree. I was raised on Adobe Software and I do love it, However I would have to say that Premiere, while my comfortable and familiar editing environment, is probably the weakest link, and has only gotten increasingly unreliable and buggy with each new release.
If you have heard of any issue in CS3 chances are I have had it. Oddly enough, mainly with Premiere. Anything from: Random Crashes, Spotty Audio Playback with HDV, and insanely slow loading times if I open a web page while editing. My machine isn't lack luster by any means and adobe software really has no excuse. I have given Premiere a chance on XP, Vista, 32 bit, and 64bit you name it, I have tried it. I still get titler crashes, bad audio playback issues, random freeze and crashes, no scene detect on hdv capturing. it seems as Adobe broadens its scope of software support it lessens it support and development for whats already available. I honestly felt Cs3 wasn't finished when it was released.
All that venting just to finish with, I am considering heavily a move to Edius. I will continue to utilize all my cs3 software aside from premiere, but word on the street is that Edius is stable and that is kind of an obvious selling point IMO for video editing- "stability to work" not, "work for stability"


How much system RAM do you have and what CPU are you using? I am not sure if Edius supports scene dectection for HDV. I used to use a converter box with Edius and Premiere for DV-25 but with Premiere you can opt to have the video play out the HDMI port of your graphics card. Edius can to some extent but not as good. Using a DV converter box is old school. HDMI is the future and Premiere does a much better job than any other software program. Edius needs the HD Storm and FCP needs the Decklink card to do what Premiere does on any computer with an HDMI port.

I might sell my Edius Pro 3.5 on ebay.
 
i'm one of those that just had to learn them all...started with vegas years ago just using the audio tools and gradually got into the video side...since then premiere and final cut and avid...of course pros and cons to each but i like them all...vegas still my fave but a few months back i bought edius neo...just the neo version...at first it felt a bit uncomfortable and i kind of shelved it...but recently i just sat down and started at ground zero and dug in...i really really like this program...and it is just the neo version...i wish it had an ipod video export setting like the others...maybe in a future release...
 
shawneous,

Opt for either Premiere Pro or Edius. You will not regret it being a FCP user. My friend has FCP and he admits Premiere and Edius are better editing systems than FCP. Edius is a better stand alone editer than Premiere Pro but Premiere's integration with the other Adobe products can not be ignored when choosing an editing system.

Give the Edius trial version a fair chance as well as Premiere. Premiere does have a FCP keyboard short cut option if you need it. Going to Premiere from FCP is easy but Edius is not hard to master either . It looks odd at first but it is easy to use. I think you will like the CG/Titler of Edius and Premiere much better than FCP's CG system.
 
I am on Edius Pro 4.61, If i have to compare it to the other NLE software out there, offer some damn sight better features that the other NLE's do not offer , but it is not perfect or a all in one system.

But what it offers me REAL TIME OUT ,not preveiw RT, its stable very, the qualty is off the best , yet to fined FCP give the same picture , its speed, Multi formate, It has most of what you need from transions , video filters and sound. What it lacks in App's can be done in other Programs and import, this is not a biggy as the time you save on Eduis ,i can do so much more work in the other packages for a better end result.

The last program i did , was a 2.5 hrs running time , edited from 15hrs of footage 4 video layers +3 titel layers, different layers of footage , graphics , photo and 3 audio layer . the footage was mixed format , from mpg2,AVI, HDV, ,3x4 and 16:9.
We had a power failure and a UPS die on me, but restarted , up popped the program and on i went. I luv this package , it will take a lot fro me to change to somthing else.

this year is the first year i have skipped my upgrade to 5 , as it has not been a big upgrade for me ,I wait 6

So what would i love to see in this package , A better time ramp( somthing like Adobe or LE6) Video and audio been able to split like Adobe, abit better DVD auth programs ( and chapter pionts that work), a titling package that is more friendly ,Title Motion is a Pain even when Avid had it. A better Capturing and logging tool in the program Hate the Dongel .These are just some off the improvments i would like to see.

just my 2 cents

gavin
 
Back
Top