Edison Bulbs - Tungsten

san83

New member
Hello,

I`m working on a small project. A retro mirror/ring light for a short film. I have a circular frame with 12 bulbs around and a removable mirror in the center. I`ll be shooting in different angles. In one of the angles I`ll be removing the mirror and shooting through, which then essentially becomes a ring light.

I'm planning on using some retro Edison bulbs. Will I get correct skin tones if I white balance it for Tungten. See picture. Currently I`m using Soft whites, but would want to try the Edison bulbs. I like the look of it, but I`m not sure about the feel yet. I want an opinion before I shell out 85$ for 12 Edison bulbs. Is there something I need to know before I go ahead with the Edison Bulbs, I think the color temperature for Tungsten bulbs are 3200K - So, I also want to order some Photoflood bulbs to light other scenes. My thinking is the color temperatures (3200K) will match.

Thank You, and I`m curious to see what you guys think.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001797M6S/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

image.jpg
 
I don't think those bulbs are the way to go unless it's going to play as a practical. They have a very low output and low color temperature, and they're clear which means unless you have a whole lot of them, you could several shadows. Large ring lights like this typically have a U-channel profile so you can put diffusion in front of the bulbs to unify them into one source, but since you don't have that I would probably use 150w "globe" bulbs, if not standard pear shaped soft white bulbs.
 
I would say use the Edison bulbs as practicals for shots where you'll see them, but swap them out for softer bulbs (maybe CFLs) when you're shooting through the mirror.
 
I would say use the Edison bulbs as practicals for shots where you'll see them, but swap them out for softer bulbs (maybe CFLs) when you're shooting through the mirror.

So, just color correct for the two different angles in post production?
 
I have soft white bulbs on now 3200K, I`m not sure what the color temperature of these Edison bulbs are - from what I see online Tungstens are between 2700K and 3200K. Does anyone here know?
 
Those are much lower in color temperature than any typical household bulbs. I haven't tried taking a reading but I'd guess they're below 2500°k. Whatever the number is doesn't particularly matter though. When you're using the soft white bulbs, just dim them down until they put out the same color.
 
Back
Top