DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

magicdavek

Well-known member
I'd like to buy a DVX100A, but would only use the 24p mode about 25% of the time. As an alternative I was considering the DVC80 (same as DVX100 without film-look features) in tandem with "CineLook" software from digieffects.com. I'm aware that takes time in post production. Given the greater expense of the DVX100A ($3388 at profeel.com) vs. the DVC80 ($2038 at profeel.com) relative to my occasional use of the film look, does this DVC80/CineLook idea make any sense? Will there be a quality tradeoff?

Has anyone used CineLook? It's been out 3-4 years or more, and I would suspect that users of this site would be the type to have used such software prior to the introduction of the DVX100. It's an After Effects plug in, and I'm an After Effects user. Comments and comparisons would be welcomed.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

Having worked in Post for along time; aside from shooting reel film, the DVX is by far is the best simulation. Having rendered many Cinelook projects, I don't advise the post route. I get a nosebleed remembering the rendertimes.
I guess it depends on the duration of your finished film, or if you have a varirty of looks throught your finnished film.

Longer Film=Longer Renders+Less Sleep
DVX=Real Time Film Look (if exposed properly)

I highly recommend to do it in camera.
But the post (Cinelook) option is there.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

Thanks for the reply. The thought of lots of extra computer time does not appeal to me. Some of the use would be 30 second commercials, but other uses would be longer. I was hoping with the Macintosh G5, this wouldn't be such an issue.

I like your comment "if exposed properly." I'm developing my lighting skills.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

I used cinelook alot back a few years ago, and would advise against it. If you're wanting film filters, go with Magic Bullet. Light years ahead of cinelook... Cinelook is very grain happy.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

My original question had to do with saving money by buying a DVC80 rather than a DVX100A. However, at $995, Magic Bullet nearly closes the gap between the price of the two cameras, so I'd rather just get the DVX100A. I realize Magic Bullet are other uses and features, but the film look would be my primary purpose of such software.
Much less expensive alternatives are DVFilm Maker ($95) and Joe's Filters for FinalCut (also $95). Both seem to get good reviews around the net, but involve a lot of time in post production.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience trying to use software to bridge the gap between the look of their DVX100 24p footage and footage from another 60i camera. I suspect a "match" wouldn't be likely, but to soften the difference when trying to mix clips from different shoots or projects, etc.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

ok... dont do the dvc80 and bullet. IF you where to capture an entire 60 minute tape from the DVC80, and put it through magic bullet to make it look like a DVX100, your gonna be waiting an hour for every 30 seconds of footage.. so you after almost a week rendering one bloody tape your gonna be hitting your head against the wall.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

However the movie look plugs for premiere pro are phenomenal and take a 1/4 of the time to render that magic bullet 1.1 takes in AE. Its the same as magic bullet's look suite and its tweakable down to every parameter.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

The only problem with the movie look plugin for premiere, besides the fact that they are only a slight bit faster, is that they really are only changing the color/gamma of your video. Nothing is done with the framerate. If you know how to use the color correction tools you can get the exact same effect by tweaking them a little. The big difference is that you are working with 60i footage instead of 24/30P footage. No matter what plugin you use, there is still going to be a difference in the final project, even after useing magic bullet's (the full version) 2:3 pulldown. It just doesn't compare to the in camera pulldown that panasonic uses.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

Jared, etc.

Okay, I've abandoned the idea of getting a DVC80. I'm getting a DVX100A, hopefully this spring. But I'm wondering about people's experience with "film look" software and trying to match 60i footage with 24p footage shot with the DVX100. Projects I have planned for the DVX100A might include using footage already gathered with my other cameras. I'm talking about a 10 second clip here, a 12 second clip there (but potentially a bunch of short clips, but not all needed at the same time). My question is will I mask the difference to the average viewer, even if there's not a perfect match? I've opened up this question in the Final Cut Pro section of the website as well.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

Aahhh but you can take that same footage into AE6 apply the pull down and bada bing! Don't get me wrong I love the image from the DVX, but its like anything else...you can always treat it and make it look even hotter.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

I use CInelook quite a bit and love it.  However- I have tried it a few times on DVX footage and can't say it really improved it. (sometimes definitley no improvement)


Look suite is great as well, and anything like can definitley improve the look of footage. I actually just rendered a live music video shot with the DVX with cinellok and look suite- 24 hours for 3.5 minutes- and i ended up not using the rendered version- the DVX footage is just that good (and of course I color corrected it in the original edit)
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

Magic Bullet: Great results, SLOW rendering
FilmFX: Nice results, faster rendering, cheaper ($500)
Cinelook: Junk. you can achieve better effects with most mid-level+ NLEs

None of these are worth their price if you're wanting to imitate 24p.

Furthermore, to get something that closely resembles 24p, google "film look" (or something along those lines) for your respective NLE. Many NLEs such as FCP and Vegas already have the necessary tools to give your 60i video a look that pretty much matches the Canon Frame mode effect. It's basically deinterlacing, plus a couple other things. If you don't fancy losing a bunch of resolution when deinterlacing, check into Re:Vision Effects FieldsKit. It does great deinterlacing. Such an effect would probably be the most cost effective way to match 60i footage to true 24p footage for clips as short as you intend to use (10-12 sec).
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

I use Final Cut and After Effects. I've been looking around the net and I think there may be enough things to tweak to get the effect I need. But I don't have a DVX100 (or A) yet, so I can't actually try to match old footage to footage on the DVX. I was impressed with Joe's Filters for Final Cut. Looking at his site, it seems cool, but you can only view it in a tiny window. I've downloaded his demo but haven't tried it out on a clip yet. Anybody had experience with Joe's filters for FCP?

Check out http://www.joesfilters.com/
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

Joe's Filters are a good value for the price. The best thing is that many of them do what FCP can already do, just better and faster.
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

Jive,

From what I read at the Joe's Filters site, you're right about the idea that many of these filters can do what FCP does but better and faster. But for me, that's worth $100, because I don't like slow and not as good!
 
Re: DVX100/DVC80 and "CineLook" software

Exactly! :) Plus there's also some other useful effects that FCP can't do on its own, so you win out in the end if any of these plugins are useful to you.
 
Back
Top