dust in Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6

Pierre N Petit

Active member
I'm a bit disapointed. I got this Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 that i love and use a lot.
When i bought it i was worried about the push pull design. Now i see some dust has found it's way inside the lense making it unusable. Anyone know how much canon usually charges for cleaning a lense? Even if it's obviously a design flaw i don't have much hope of them doing it for free.
 
L series lenses are usually protected agianst the elements pretty well. There is no garentee though that its weatherproof or anything like that. When did you buy the lens? Do you still have a warranty? If something like that happened to my L series I would battle it out with canon within the first year because, as you have stated, it is a design flaw (and because if they don't do anything you might not be so inclined to buy another L series, or stick with canon at that). If you poured dirt down the two sections of your lens, thats a different story (....don't do that)
 
It is more then one year. I baby my lense and it never got any dirt on it. I did travel to extreme climate with it..... Anyhow i have to bring it in and they will get an estimate within a few days. Luckily it's only about a 30minutes drive from my house. I wonder how much they can charge the cleaning of a lense.....I will surely pressure them...might a 5d mkII deal breaker for me.
 
Back
Top