Dual Head issue

sdjames

Active member
I built an editing pc about 18 months ago:

2 ghz pentium 4
1 GB Ram
EIDE 120 GB internal HDD
120 GB HDD Firewire

Here's the thing. I am using an ATI Radeon 9700 all-in-wonder video card. It is not on the list of adobe supported cards. Beside the extra desktop space, which would be very worthwhile, what would I gain by changing to an adobe supported dual monitor card? Which one would you recommend?
 
Re: Dual Head issue

To my knowledge nothing really. Video DV accelleration isn't really video card related at all. Sometimes due to direct draw and other things, the preview monitor sometimes doesn't display properly or simultaneously on both screens. That would be about it. I would image adobe is just playing it safe not posting it fore some reason. It would proabalby work fine.
 
Re: Dual Head issue

Some like the Matrox RT or Dv Storm will have some real-time editing. Now keep in mind that tends to be restricted to the transitions that come with the card. Different results for renders not part of the package and a third party plug-in like Magic Bullet.

Now that said, if your card is working bug free you don't need to replace it just because it's "not supported". Unless you want to upgrade naturally.
 
Re: Dual Head issue

Thanks!  That's helpful to know. So if I get any dual head card I'm not likely to see a big decrease in performance...
 
Re: Dual Head issue

You mean "increase"?

A new video card will not slow things down - Will spead things up (depending on cards memory) unless you put in a slower card and you would not do that.

Unless you spend a bunch of cash on a high end video card you won't see a big difference.

Put the money into RAM
 
Re: Dual Head issue

No probably not... however like Dekota said there are Hardware acceleration "video cards" that do give your PC a bit more juice when working in realtime with DV and other formats. As far as a straight up dual diplay card only... to my knowledge no significant advange worth upgrading besides the extra screen res. (if it ain't broke don't fix it) :)
 
Re: Dual Head issue

[quote author=The_Video_Guy link=board=Premier;num=1107197384;start=0#5 date=01/31/05 at 17:31:30] (if it ain't broke don't fix it)  :)[/quote]

Absolutely. Ram, new cpu, bigger hard drive... date with a cute girl... Better spent elsewhere.
 
Re: Dual Head issue

Was just going to say "increase" as well ... beat me to it :)

again... agreed with dakota re the upgrades.
 
Re: Dual Head issue

I have the Radeon 9700 also and I don't use it when editing. For 50 bucks I bought a broken mini dv camcorder. The tape drive was busted, but the firewire and video ports worked fine, so I use that to ouput from Premiere to a second monitor for previewing.
 
Re: Dual Head issue

I also use a 9700 pro 128 card and have no problems in using my programs. Then extra real estate is more of a necessity now days so if you want the real estate you can always get a cheap PCI card with 64 memory like the ATI 7000 or VE cards that will compliment your current 9700 AIW. In addition it is better to have all ATI or All nvidia so there won't be any potential conflicts with drivers.
 
Back
Top