Is it true with a bigger camera people give you more space and bugger off when your trying to film because it looks more pro even though it could well be 7 years old.
I wouldn't say bugger off. I would say that they leave you alone to do your own thing. You might have the odd person come up to you to ask what you are doing. But other than that, they dont.
with my dvx i've had several people think i'm a reporter and ask a lot of questions about what i'm going to do with the footage. I've also had people look over and hope i might ask them for an interview.
this is just when i'm taking test shots. In public events, such as marches my camera tends to get more attention when compared with those who have little mini-dv cams.
So I guess it depends. the bigger the cam could also result in more attention in some places, and in others people might respect your "space" and "time" more as they percieve you to be a more serious and professional artist.