Documentary shoot in Mongolia

mmf1pitt

Active member
Has anyone ever been to Mongolia for filmwork? I'm getting ready for a 3 month project - May-Aug 2007, to film the Tsan (Reindeer herders) and Khazak people in western regions. The locations are remote and I will be on horseback most of the time. Looks like I'll have to trade my pellican case for a Kata backpack.

Any tech advice would be helpful.

:beer:
 
When in remote places, I use this M-Rock backpack:
http://www.m-rock.com/wasatch-28-57.htm

I place the DVX in the bottom (fits if you take the Lens hood off and flip up the eyepiece). I pack batteries, tape and wireless in there also. The top part I pack my photog equipment (d70 ad three leneses). It's a tight fit, but can be done. I then use a small tripod bag (with strap for over the shoulder) for tripod, boom pole, shotgun mic, light stand for road rags silk (diffuse the sun) and some Mathews mini grips to hold the boom pole if needed.

I will probably switch to a modular belt for photography (camera and two lenses) and a small bag with a shoulder strap (that fits the dvx and stuff). The problem I run into is getting to the gear if your are just passing through a place or walking around. You can check out my website and see some pictures of the gear.

Sounds like a good trip - have fun!
 
Thanks for the advice. It will definitely be a challenging trek...any recommendations on solar chargers?
 
No experience with them. I would bring a boat load of batteries and think ahead of locations and recharging scenarios. I am a sucker for the flip out and drain a lot of batteries.
 
Nice backpack. Price is not too bad. What's the rule for backpack's on airplanes. Any size okay? or do they freak out if it is to big?
 
Airlines post their baggage sizes online. They vary depending on the flight (domestic/international) as well as on the type of aircraft. I had to take a commuter plane from Pittsburgh to Toronto and my pellican 1510 case would not fit in the overhead nor under the seat even though it is made to airline specific dimensions. It had to go into the baggage hold...
 
FatDaddy said:
Nice backpack. Price is not too bad. What's the rule for backpack's on airplanes. Any size okay? or do they freak out if it is to big?
I'm going to be going to Thailand in the spring to shoot a documentary, so just to check that VERY concern quoted above, I put the Cinebag into a carry on suitcase & it fit like a charm!

So it shouldn't be a problem!
 
I am in Kazakhstan with a HVX200

I am in Kazakhstan with a HVX200

If you will be anywhere near Almaty, Kazakhstan or within commuting distance - we could meet up -- I have a HVX200 and a stereo mike (no boom) and a backpack--I will be in the region until fall2007 as a university researcher - why Mongolia and there are very few Kazakhs in Mongolia now! Please write directly to me.

ivm1@columbia.edu



mmf1pitt said:
Has anyone ever been to Mongolia for filmwork? I'm getting ready for a 3 month project - May-Aug 2007, to film the Tsan (Reindeer herders) and Khazak people in western regions. The locations are remote and I will be on horseback most of the time. Looks like I'll have to trade my pellican case for a Kata backpack.

Any tech advice would be helpful.

:beer:
 
GoingAbroad said:
If you will be anywhere near Almaty, Kazakhstan or within commuting distance - we could meet up -- I have a HVX200 and a stereo mike (no boom) and a backpack--I will be in the region until fall2007 as a university researcher - why Mongolia and there are very few Kazakhs in Mongolia now! Please write directly to me.

Wa wa wee wa?
 
mmf1pitt - sounds like a really cool trip. This if off topic, but as someone who wants to get more into documentary, is this a project you got hired to do? or did you fund it yourself, or recieve a grant?

andrew
www.andrewdavidwatson.com
 
I'm going to film in mid->southern Siberia, Tuva and north-western Monolia this September. Maybe I'll bump into another (your) camera crew :)
 
"any recommendations on solar chargers?"

Solar charging is really liberating once you have a simple and proven system.

You could try 1 or 2 flexible 20W solar panels or small rigid panels (10W is about as big as a sheet of paper).

A 12v camera battery charger such as the Varizoom VZ-DBC can plug straight into the panels.

Also look for a good quality 12V (car) power supply for your laptop and run that from 12V gel cells (brick size or larger if your horse can cope).

You will have to estimate the total demands of your camera, laptop and any external drives to calculate the correct amount of panels (in Watts). Charging camera batteries will not be a problem, but you may need to keep computer use to a minimum. Expect to have a surplus of battery capacity for poor charging days or days away from your panel.

Solar panel dealers (or anyone with basic electrical knowledge) should be able to help design a compact and light weight system from off the shelf components.
 
Last edited:
Project was conceived as an independent study as part of the University of Pittsburgh's study exchange program with the University of Mongolia. The project will likely take two years - 6 mos at a stretch. I'm actually in Iqaluit, Nunavut right now on another independent film project. Unfortunately, the funds for these endeavours have been at my own expense thus far. I need to make a few films before going out to seek $$$.

I'll try to contact those in the area when I arrive however I'm told that communication is somewhat limited in the border areas (Kahzakstan etc.)
 
Back
Top