Doc Opportunity: Need Help

meta4

Well-known member
Hey guys,

So in two days I'm leaving for a one month long Safari Hunting trip to Africa. I have a video production company and my dad is dying of Cancer. He has always loved hunting and going to Africa to hunt, so in light of the 'end' being near, he and I decided to take a month off from chemo and enjoy living life to the fullest. I am only going to document his journey and I'd really like to put together a lasting testament to what an amazing man my father is. However he's pretty camera shy and I think he's expecting me to shoot more of the animals being shot. I, however, am focusing more on 'what is living life'.

If you guys have any ideas for good themes or ideas I could 'help make happen' or any topics that would be good to discuss with him for interviews I'd love any help I can get.

I'm not gonna sell it, but I'd love for my (someday) kids to get a chance to know who their grandfather was. I bought a canon A1 just for this and I have a shotgun and wireless lav. I'm hoping to make this a quality piece but the story is whats most important.

Thanks to all in advance,
Brent

PS - if anyone can get ahold of whomever sells those spiderbraces, pm me. I'm trying to get one before we leave. (two days from now!)
 
Spiderbrace: If you can't get one through spiderbrace.com, pm me and i will fedex you mine.

As far as the doc stuff goes, for something like this, more is more. Make sure you always have the camera on, so your Dad just gets used to it from now on. Get him a wireless mic for the hunting days. Since there may well be long periods of waiting around for game, take the opportunity to ask him some open-ended questions about his life then. I find the best moments are when people are interviewed while busy doing something else.. riding to the campsite, walking to a hunting blind, cleaning his gun, whatever.

Do you have a pro quality 35mm camera? You will not regret getting some 8mp 35mm photos of him in his element.

Good luck, man, and I'll keep you and your dad in my prayers. Cheers.
 
pmg~

thank you for your prayers. I really appreciate them.

That's good advice on the camera running the whole time. I'm thinking of bringing 20 tapes (is that enough?). We'll be there for twenty days (an hour per day?)

I've purchased a spiderbrace, seems wrong to pay $30 for shipping when I live an hour away, but it'll get here friday which is cool. I'm hoping I love using it, may require a lanc controller on the handle though.

I've got a 6+ megapixel camera that I'll use when I'm not taping. Be good for moving picture sequences in between scenes.
 
hey good luck with your trip. My nephew who is 14 was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year. Its not exactly the same thing as you but I can associate with what you are going through. I spent about 6 months with him pretty much capturing everything possible using a DVX. Enjoy and cherish every moment.

Cheers,

-Kris
 
20 tapes is not enough, I would do thirty. If you have a tripod I would set up the camera and let interviews just roll. After a few minutes he will forget the camera is there. Set up the shots so you can swing over and sit beside him and then just let it be talking between the two of you. It will be a harder angle, but better for content and for you to be there as "just talking." Also get stuff as kind of a video diary (from you). Ask your dad if he would be interested in the same thing. Set up the camera somewhere private and tell him if he sits here all he has to do is hit the red button, etc. He might warm up to the whole thing.

My dad died in a blink of the eye and I never got to say goodbye. Blessings on your trip.
 
I'm sorry to hear of your tough situation. I'd really say 50 tapes to be safe if you had someone else shooting, but don't get TOO wrapped up in filming. Remember that this time with him will be more valuable than anything. whatever you do get, short interviews, some hunting b-roll, and maybe some awkward moments trying to talk about things will encapsulate what this time meant to you both no matter how well it's covered. Take your time and just have fun together, your memory and image of him for your kids will do better to capture his essence than even the most spectacular film of those 4 weeks events ever could, so just shoot enough to cover some representation of what he means to you. Well shot "home video" is really the best documentary that exists for it's intimacy and the heart in the camerawork from a familly member, think of it as that.
let up on him if he gets uncomfortable, it's well worth it and will help him open up eventually. Good luck and have fun on your trip.
 
Make sure you get some good fatherly advice on tape, that way, you'll be able to share Grandpa's wisdom with your own kids. I wish I could have done this, my kids never got to meet my folks. Hell, I had to take my wife to the cemetary to meet them. As you can imagine, they didn't have much to say, and she certainly didn't get to see their better side.

To this day, I still can't watch My Life with Michael Keaton.
 
Best wishes to your father, I hope his prognosis changes. Miracles happen every day!

On your important project, I'd say that you can indeed strike a balance between sharing and documenting this adventure. I do reality for a living, but I've never really had to cross the line with my subject as you will. I'm always an "objective" observer - a stranger to my subject who they eventually come to know and hopefully trust.

In your situation, I'd recommend starting your trek in the way your father likely imagines it. Filming the outback and wildlife with glimpses of him in it. As your trip progresses, and he becomes accustomed to the presence of the camera, you can begin to focus on him as a character.

One effective transitional method is to lock of the camera at a the greatest distance possible - it won't hide the fact that you're shooting, but it will make its presence less intrusive. Sit next to him, in or out of the shot, and just start talking. Keep it conversational at the top - sharing your collective experiences from the day, your surroundings and observations on Africa.

You'll find that, quite quickly, you'll have a long-form interview on a nice long lens that will intercut with later footage that will naturally follow as your father continues to let down whatever inhibitions he might have toward being recorded. Naturally, you'll want to keep dad wired constantly. Not that you'll always be shooting, but even little things like twice daily battery changes will contribute toward his comfort around the gear as time goes on.

We regularly employ confessional cameras. It might not make sense in your project - but it might also easily become something natural and integral to your family's experience. Tell everyone that you'll leave a camera set up in camp or at the lodge, ready to roll. They can go hit the record button at the beginning or end of each day to privately record a "diary" of what they experienced. It will feel stiff at first, but it can be used to great effect if you don't violate the privacy of the moment if they use it.

Enjoy this once in a lifetime trek with your father and have fun!

e
 
Last edited:
Good luck Brent, I'm sure everything will go great. Don't forget to take the lens cap off, oh and give your Dad a big hug, tell him you love him. God's Speed.
 
hey Brent- I think what you're doing is amazing. I wish you an amazing trip with your father as well as a good project that you will be able to share with future generations of your family.

These kind of projects are what I specialize in and one thing I've learned is to not to go "too big" with the dialogue. By that I mean, it's not necessary or even desirable to base your project around the big, tough questions like the meaning of life, etc. FIrst get your father to tell a few stories about his youth or how he met your mother, etc- things that'll make him smile. It's these little anecdotes, even if they're about the studebaker he drove in HS or the box of dingy crayons his aunt kept in the hutch that will mean the most to you ultimately and to your kids and their kids. It's the little things, is one way of encapsulating this idea. That's been my experience, for what it's worth.

This'll also get him more comfortable with the camera and such. Then you can ask him the meaning of life.

Also relate it to your children and the family- this'll bring it home for him and he'll want to speak about it, even if it causes him to get a little emotional. This can be hard, but good, for both of you. Many times I've worked with people who didn't want to talk on camera, but once I asked them to send a message to the grandkids who were too young or not born yet, they opened up.

Best of luck Brent. It won't be easy, but you'll be so glad you did it. There are few better uses for a DVX than this one. Don't forget to just hang with Dad and spend time. Also I'd bring as many tapes as you can- around 50 or 60- and extra batteries. Don't forget voltage adapters if you need 'em.

J
 
Back
Top