DIY "mini35" using mediumformat lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a good photographer, teddybear:)
i like your DIY project, looks clean and professional. Will like to see the construction details..

i look forward to the possibility of using my MF zeiss lenses for video :)

Andrea
 
My adapter is almost complete. Can anyone point out what the magnifying lense does and what can be used to make one or where to buy one? This is my last obstacle :evil: :angry:
adapter_parts.jpg
 
the magnifying lens is like any you'll find in a book store. The one "sherlock holmes" has. remove the lens from the frame and handle. I think this is the only visual ref I can think of! It it there so that you'll have an enlarged image on the rotating GG. the DVX can't zoom in that close. My setting is zoom at Z81 and manual focus MF33. with the magnifying lens there is no vignetting.
 
all,

heres the broken apart images of the adapter I built. I rememberd sm1 asking for details.

These images show a modified aluminum angular brace to attach the adapter to the camera baseplate. The first version only had 1 which had no rigidity, this model now has 2 angular brace bolted to the GG motor housing.

click on this link, if you dont see an image below, (my sitehost limits linked photos)

Parts of the adapter photos

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

structure_details.jpg
 
engr
I used the "frosted" blank cds that come on both ends of a maxell cdr spindle. Otherwise I also have sandpapered clear cds as back up just in case.

RMI Studios
You set the optimum croping and focus on the gg by adjusting the zoom and focus on the dvx. This is one time only. Mark it. then use the attached lens' focus ring from then on.

hope this helps.
 
Samplefootage from version 2 of adapter

Samplefootage from version 2 of adapter

All

I've posted in stickypod gallery, sample footage from version 2 of DVXDOF120 adapter.
The major mod is that I've replaced the magnifying lens with 3 stacks of +3 close up lens that I mounted on a step down ring in front of the DVX.

Many thanks to www.stickypod.com for letting dvx users post footage.

Here are the links
rack-1

rack-2

The replacement of the magnifying glass removed ghosting and provided a much sharper image.
 
teddybear said:
All

I've posted in stickypod gallery, sample footage from version 2 of DVXDOF120 adapter.
The major mod is that I've replaced the magnifying lens with 3 stacks of +3 close up lens that I mounted on a step down ring in front of the DVX.

Many thanks to www.stickypod.com for letting dvx users post footage.

Here are the links
rack-1

rack-2

The replacement of the magnifying glass removed ghosting and provided a much sharper image.
Looks really, really good. Soooo...... why aren't you selling these things? I don't think paying extra for shipping from Bohol would be a big deal for people, considering the quality of this product. Just my thoughts.
Anyway, the footage looks great!

-pasty
 
Very cool adapter, and great footage!!

Other than giving you a larger visual on the focus screen, does using the 80mm lens also provide better light?

I don't know much about photography, but just didn't know if a 1.8f 35mm lens, would be just as bright as a 1.8f 80mm lens? Or would the 80mm lens, because of the larger image, have less of a noticable "hotspot" on the focus screen?

jg


**EDIT**

Also... can you still manually focus an "automatic" lens? Or when you get a lens for an adapter, do you need to make sure it's a Manual Lens?
 
James Gerber

Since the 80 mm that I use is an f1.9, yeah, it is brighter.
When I use medium format lens, the projected image on the spinning CD is bigger and thus the captured image is more detailed than smaller 35.

Now take note that this statement apllies only to my own instrument and comparison, meaning. I am only doing a DIY device with tools lying around our studio. When I say "more detailed than smaller 35" this is when i'm comparing it with MY own 35 lenses and not with the commercial grade solutions found in this forum, such as G35, M2, MPIC, Letus, etc.

In my opinion, those solutions that I have mentioned have access to quality optics found in US and Europe. I don't have that benefit. Their 35 mm adapter are better than my DIY 120 adapter.

The lens that I use are manual, after setting the zoom setting and macro focus on the DVX to focus on the GG, you must mark it, lock it, tape it. All racking and focusing and f stop setting are done on the attached 120 lens. Among the parameters you can adjust on the DVX are, speed( but not too high, or the spinning gets obvious)and Iris(to control exposure).
 
Heres a pic of version 2 of the DVX DOF 120

If you can't see a pic please click this LINK Scroll down.

I will post soon, footage from the adapter mounted on the PLYWOOD SKATER.

comparisonpic.jpg
 
Teddybear,

I was currious about the auto vs manual, cause there was a cheap 'auto lens' for sale on ebay... but I didn't know if you can still manually focus an auto lens.

Nice updated pics! That's a pretty sharp looking rig.

So you use the plastic lens cap for a mount?
 
As far as I know James there are auto lenses that you can still manually focus, some nikon dx lens has a A and M switch, D types you can also focus manually, some auto lens stays full open if there is no electronic means on your device to trigger its iris.

Yeah, I used 2 lens caps because the medium format lenses for the rb645 needs a longer distance to its 'film plane' (GG).

I have a video posted for another thread, the DIY plywood skater, it shows at the end, the DVX DOF120 adapter mounted on the plywood skater.

heres a Link to adapter mounted on PLYWOOD SKATER

its mpg format so youll have no problem playing it on media player, 6.87 mb only.

Thanks to www.stickypod.com for allowing dvxusers to post videos.
 
Full open wouldn't be too bad.. 'cause, well, from the cheapo adapter I made for myself, I seemed to get a pretty bad hot spot when using the irus to control exposure, verses my cameras exposure control.

gonna have to check out that link you just posted.

thanx,

jg
 
I replaced the video attached to the link above, i noticed in the last sequence a slight wobble. I didnt tighten enough the dvxdof 120 adapter onto the plywood skater. Same link above to get video.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top