DIY Kamio Light

Sent them an e-mail earlier today. Who knows if I'll hear anything. I'm sure they didn't like that I only want 1 to 5.

What do you think of the ballast? You're the expert on this stuff. What about trying to dim it like the kino unit?
 
I know about that company and its about the only place around to easily find DC ballasts although I never used one of them. Others seem to have had good results with them though.

Dimming is probably a no go with any of these ballasts from that company. Dimming must be built into the ballast and they would have said they were dimmable if they had the capability so I don't see how its possible really. The price would probably be much higher too for a dimmable version as there would be a lot more circuitry. Finding a DC and dimmable ballast will be very difficult indeed. Does Kamio fully dim or does it have just a half intensity switch?
 
The Kamio's fully dimmable. You can get a pretty good idea of the unit here. I was the top bidder on that piece until the last five seconds. That's why I hate e-bay, some jerk swoops in at the last second and over bids you by a buck.

I canceled that order from B&H, since I can't seem to find a 30w DC ballast and it's taken over 4 weeks. I'll most likely order a 22w fixture off that site just to check it out and see if I can make it work, then if I get it all in order I'll get a color correct Kino bulb from B&H.
 
Ordered one of these guys: http://store.solar-electric.com/thin10822wat.html and came home from class to find it waiting on the porch. I had the rivets drilled out in less then five minutes. See attached pictures for the results.

They sent me a GE cool white 22 8" T9 bulb, which is 4100k. I'm going to scope out home depot tomorrow while I'm there getting the last parts for some DIY dimmers. Maybe I can find something closer to 3200k.

The current bulb "presses" onto the stock lens hood, as you can see in the pictures, but it deforms the soft corners a bit. I've got a ton of other things to get ready for the Phoenix AF3 48 hour film challenge this weekend, but I'll stat playing with it next week.
 

Attachments

  • P1000905.JPG
    P1000905.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000909.JPG
    P1000909.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000912.JPG
    P1000912.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top