Dedolight optics for Prolycht Orion series

Why is there a partial opening for the wide angle lens?

The DZOOM-P looks fantastic especially as a mini xenon beam for "god rays" in shot after haze is added. It's quite a specific application modifier but great to have as an option.
 
Rob, I believe the photos of the wide-angle lens attachment have an optical illusion. The black ‘openings’ are just reflections of the black barn doors.

I own the wide angle lenses for my Dedolights, they are all a solid piece of glass.

Unless you are referring to something else?
 
Rob, I believe the photos of the wide-angle lens attachment have an optical illusion. The black ‘openings’ are just reflections of the black barn doors.

I own the wide angle lenses for my Dedolights, they are all a solid piece of glass.

Unless you are referring to something else?

Chris, I can't remember, do you own a 675? Thoughts on the new dedo optics?
 
Chris, I can't remember, do you own a 675? Thoughts on the new dedo optics?

Hey Rob - I had one on pre-order when it was announced mid-2022 but ended up cancelling because the shipping date in Australia was pushed back to December and at the time I couldn’t wait that long.

Still very much considering one.

I own a few of the wide angle attachments for my Dedos and also the DP400 projector with 70mm, 100mm and 150mm lenses.

There is no distortion on the projector lenses and the aberrations are very minimal, rarely show up on camera at all. Even for macro product shots, very clean. This is consistent across all the lenses. The ultra wide 70mm lens just has more of a green tint than the others because of the sheer volume of glass in it.

For comparison, I have owned the Nanlite bowens mount projector and damn is it bright, but sold it because the optical performance was worse than the Dedo in other metrics (distortion, sharpness, spill light, inability to cut top and bottom with equal sharpness etc.). Not as flexible for using direct on your subject. And the shadow your subject casts when lit directly with the beam is noticeably soft compared to the Dedo (Not as convincing for a sunlight effect).

As for the wide angle attachment: One thing I really like about it is the way it optically makes the light source appear smaller. When you look through the front glass the source looks about half the size - shadow sharpness increases very noticeably and barn door cuts are very crisp. The rotating barn doors are also really handy.
 
Thanks for the write up. I think ultimately they all look like excellent quality attachments but I doubt I'll buy any! If a big enough project called for it, I'd be all over the projection and zoom. I'm obviously sold on the quality of light, just don't see a case for other people paying more to unlock them. This is only my situation, I'm sure certain people won't think twice.
 
Back
Top