d50 vs d70

emereica_zr

Active member
is there really a point in spending the extra money to get the d70? or would i be fine settling with a d50? i am new to still photography and am looking to get a decent first camera,, what would you recommend.. i have 600 right now by the way
 
CMessineo said:
I had the same question. After much research, I finally settled on the D50 and I have been very happy.

Chris


Can you give us some samples of what kind of pictures you can get out of the D50? Shots that you've taken yourself would be great!
 
OK...first of all, both of these cameras are made by Nikon. Both of them are 6 megapixels. I don't know whether they both use the same sensor or not, but the pictures I've seen from each are nearly identical. I wouldn't make image quality the basis of your decision...there's very little (if any) difference here.

Just like with any tool, it's the person using it that makes the difference. Your skill level with photography should be the deciding factor between these two cameras. If you rarely use manual exposure mode, different types of autofocus, custom whitebalance, etcetera (but need to access these functions once in a while), the D50 is the right camera for you. If you're comfortable with still photography in general and the digital workflow, and need easier access to advanced controls, go with the D70. Although the D70 is fairly easy to use, it has features that a semi-pro/advanced amateur will appreciate. These features do add extra knobs and switches that can be confusing to a beginner.

A case in point...I work at the local camera store part time. Today I helped a guy who had bought a D200 (which is a truly incredible camera), but didn't know the difference between shutter speeds and f stops, let alone the difference between exposure modes. He would have been much better off (and probably would get better pictures) spending a third of the money on the D50. As it was, it was kinda like watching someone who had been driving for less than an hour get in a Ferrari.

Hope that helps...
 
I would go with the D50. As a beginning photographer it has all the things you need to shoot great images. If later on you decide you need some of the features the D70 has you can always sell your D50. But that probably wouldn't be for years and by then a better pro camera will be out.
 
Asa said:
A case in point...I work at the local camera store part time. Today I helped a guy who had bought a D200 (which is a truly incredible camera), but didn't know the difference between shutter speeds and f stops, let alone the difference between exposure modes. He would have been much better off (and probably would get better pictures) spending a third of the money on the D50. As it was, it was kinda like watching someone who had been driving for less than an hour get in a Ferrari.

Great analogy Asa... and thanks for the info!:)
 
I use the D70 almost daily for paying work, primarily product shots, and it's a fine camera.

The D50 specs out better in almost every way (faster USB, improved image highlight rendering, image size, etc). It's likely just fine for most people moving from point & shoot to an SLR.

The features missing that make it hard to use for "pro" work? No DOF preview, no viewfinder grid (switchable in the D70), only one command dial (two is really vital for shooting manual). Mosty minor stuff exceot for DOF preview (you really can't judge focus on the LCD.)

Best of all, any current lens you buy (if it's a full-frame lens) will work on any Nikon bodies you buy later (in fact, I have lenses that are 20 years old which I can use on my D70, though some features will be disabled). Any of the dedicated "digital" Nikon glass will work on any future small-sensor bodies, too. Any AF Nikon lens you find on eBay will work (just take into account the 1.7 zoom factor; since the chip in the camera is much smaller than a 35mm film frame, most lenses get telephoto-ized; this is great when you want your 200mm to be a 370mm, but a drag when your 20mm wide isn't so wide anymore...)
 
Another big difference is the fact the the D70 has a metal lens mount which is reinforced, while the D50's is plastic. As far as the kits go, You get a $400 lens with the D70 for only about $150, with internal focusing and better glass, while the D50 kit lens is definetly not as good. But if your just starting out in photography, you're really not going to lose anything that big by going with the D50
 
Back
Top