Cutout filter effect.

jdplaya

Member
I want to apply a cutout filter to one of my shorts to give it a cartoonish look what is the easiest way to do this because converting to a filmstrip and then rotoscoping each frame in premiere would take me weeks is there no simpler solution... perhaps something that would do the process for you... or at least a way that I would not have to select each frame individually from the filmstrip so that I could apply the effect...

thanx in advance
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

could be done pretty easily in After Effects using a mask to outline the area you want to effect/or not effect... and keyframing the mask to move with the area.
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

I don't need any particular region I just want it all (all regions of the screen and every frame) to have the cutout effect on it... but there is no cutout effect in After Effects only on Photoshop... so what should I do?
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

and also maybe I wasn't clear on what the cutout filter is its a filter that makes stills or moving images look like the effect they used in "Waking Life" :D
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

I think that the easiest way to do this would be export a filmstrip and than just apply the filter to the entire filmstrip...I can't say I know the exact filter, so you might need to isolate the border between each frame onto another layer and than just flatten them before exporting...If there is something that I am missing about why this wouldn't work (other than a really long render time) please let me know.

Good luck,

-Harry
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

I think that in Waking life they actually painted every frame 1 by 1 on the computer to obtain this effect.
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

If you have the old gallery effects filters from photoshop 5 or 5.5 , not sure. You can drop them into your AE plugin directory and use them.

I copied mine from illustrator, the artistic filters, and copied to AE plugins. works good.

There is also a plug called simplifier. Another is cartooner by boris fx, and is FREE

and the best one is tinderbox 1 t_etch, from the foundry
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

I'm currently working as a dub mixer on a canadian/french series called "The Delta State". It's a fantastic/sitcom cartoon, 26x26mn.

The animation is made in rotoscopy. I like very much the strange effect it provides : movements are much slower, expressions much truer that in traditional animation. I'm not so fond of the story, but I'm quite happy to work on the project for the mere pleasure of working on something different from the usual stuff (plus: the director's a nice person)

They shot and edited the whole footage on video in sitcom conditions (half of the action takes place in an appartment), then, they did the animation using Macromedia Flash.

I'm due to work with them on monday. I'll investigate furthermore on the technical side of the process.
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

[quote author=Chenopup link=board=news;num=1081273164;start=0#8 date=04/07/04 at 22:44:01]if you're wanting to do the whole frame.. here is an example of what was done in Vegas.. pretty amazing for not having to leave the app.


http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/do...?.tok=phruGjABkqE8MOmd&.dir=/CC+vegas&.src=ph


Look towards the middle to bottom of the page.
[/quote]

how was this done in Vegas I've only been using the app for a few months but have never seen this done before... if you could give some instructions that would be great because it looks very close to what I'm trying to do
 
Re: Cutout filter effect.

It looks like it was done with a bump map and a convolution kernel. I will experiment.
 
Back
Top