Computer organization

storyp24

Well-known member
I have a new PC computer with 2-400 gig hard drives with Raid so it shows up as 1 800 gig harddrive. Also I have a 400 gig SATA drive. The system is an Intel Core 2 CPU, x6800 @2.93 Ghz and 2 gig ram.


I know it is recommended to keep program files separate from the operating system. But having a 800 gig hardrive not using the files seems inefficient.

I am looking for suggestions on how to organize my work.

1. Where to keep Software progams
2. Where to keep video files
3. Where to back up ongoing and completed programs

Thanks
 
You should keep your OS and programs separate from your audio/video assets.

I used to separate programs and OS, but they're so darn linked that it got stupid after a while, so I went back to a single large OS/program drive. Granted, it's RAID1 (mirrored) for fault-tolerance.

I'd get a smaller (250GB maybe) drive to use as the OS/pograms drive, then RAID0 (stripe) the two 400GB drives to use for audio/video assets.

As for backup, that's a tough one. REV PRO is an up-and-coming video-friendly storage medium though.

Brandon
 
Back
Top