compositing in a traditional documentary?

powerdog

Veteran
Ever used compositing, or seen it used effectively, in a doc that isn't about technology, space, or rock music? Previously I posted a link to a promotional video for a college, in which old sepia photos were made to look 3D by pulling the people in the foreground out of the background:

http://www.snavelyassociates.com/portfolio/cow_v_q.html

I thought that was great, but I have trouble imagining how compositing might be used in other ways for a fairly non-glitzy video. Any ideas or links to samples?
 
I agree, but it's not worth climbing the learning curve if there's not much else I could do with compositing in a traditional documentary.
 
I think a lot of it depends on the materials you have to work with. If you are stuck w/a lot of stills this would be a nice change up from the typical "Ken Burns" pan & scan regardless of subject matter, IMO. If the doc requires a more "subtle" feel to it then just be more subtle in the compositing. If the doc can be more "aggressive" you can be more aggressive in the compositing.


-A
 
It is a cool effect, but as with any cool effect, make yourself use it only sparingly. Anyone who has watched any amount of PBS will have seen this effect many times by now and what was first cool is now annoying. If you have a specific instance where it might bring some life or depth to the image, it might be worth it to pay someone else to create the effect for you (an emerging Art Institute student might do it for pretty cheap). If you only want to use the effect "because you can", then I would leave it alone.
 
I would say use the effect but tweak it in such a way as to make it your own. Add a ray of light, perhaps color the sky only or add other effects to the images. I think this effect still has a wow factor if tweaked a little different than it is usually presented.
 
I agree with everyone who warns against overuse of the effect, or using it because I can. But the question is, what other effects are possible with compositing that might work in a similar production? It seems to me, from the quick glance I've given it, that many/most are aimed more at high tech/sci fi types of videos.
 
powerdog said:
I agree with everyone who warns against overuse of the effect, or using it because I can. But the question is, what other effects are possible with compositing that might work in a similar production? It seems to me, from the quick glance I've given it, that many/most are aimed more at high tech/sci fi types of videos.

In my animated documentary, I used compostiting, but it was just stacking the different layers together to emulate how paintings would be constructed - ie

1) Layer 1 - Canvas
2) Layer 2 - Pencil Sketch
3) Layer 3 - Colorized Oil Sketch
4) Layer 4 - Oil Fills
5) Layer 5 - Oil Sketch

Compositing, in and of itself, is just stacking up layers, and doesn't have to be used for that 3-D look. That's simply one type of compositing.
 
I think the documentary that really pioneered the 3-D layered photo technique was THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE based on the life of Robert Evans - which is definitely worth checking out. Now I think it has really been overdone.
 
asphaltplanet said:
I think the documentary that really pioneered the 3-D layered photo technique was THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE based on the life of Robert Evans - which is definitely worth checking out. Now I think it has really been overdone.


Great doc, and yes, it has been overdone at this point, but it could be used a launching pad for an even more revolutionary way to bring motion to still images. What would that look like? I don't know....
 
Hi PD,

Thanks for sharing. I thought Jack Shell did a nice job in his "Donut Dollies" (SRAO) documentary on Videomaker's vidcast #11 (readers showcase). Here's an example of a documentary all done with stills that come to life with proper use of zooms, pans, and editing. Of course, using the 3D technology you suggested would be a plus if used in moderation, but Jack did an amazing job using stills. So I suggest careful study of what others do lacking 3D to determine where it's most compelling.

Warm Regards, Michael
 
Back
Top