Complete ND filter review

(I haven't used any of those, but the prond are supposed to be the best screw-in filters available, I would be really surprised if they were not a whole lot better than any variND)
(and I have put $3 filters in front of a D800 with a very sharp prime, to see if they had any effect on sharpness at 36 Mpix, and found absolutely no difference)
 
When you get above 4-6 stops of ND, I would be worried about IR contamination. I'm not saying it is necessarily a problem, but I would be watching for it.
 
Hey Vincent,

I have the Schneider filter and in a nutshell, i would say it was to be one of the greatest additions to the arsenal. I use it on my FS100, BMPCC and from tomorrow onwards, the A7s.

Previously, i used the Tiffen ND kit which i thought was great. With the darkest filter included in the kit, i noticed the image is softer, which makes it a little tough to focus. Any darker, i would have to buy another set of NDs offered by Tiffen.
Since the Schneider came through my doorstep, i've always thought the convenience of not having the to change filter was its strongest point. Of course, it does suffer with the wide angle lenses with the X effect when stopped down a little too much.

I do film with the FS700 occasionally, and one day it hit me. I was on the darkest built in ND on the FS700, and i felt as if i was having a hard time finding focus on my Nikon 28mm F2.8 Ai-s. It was like a weird realization, i remembered not having this problem recently til lit hit me; I've been used to the Schneider Vari ND which doesn't have me run into that problem. True enough, the Schneider is a sharp piece of ND filter compared to what's built into the Sony FS700.

I've never had any issues with color casts with the Schneider, at least not noticeable. The only drawback with the Schneider like all Vari NDs, it won't work it's full potential on wide lenses. But everywhere else, it really shines. 50mm F1.8 in the brightest conditions never looked so good!
 
Back
Top