"Closed captioning" / subtitles creation?

firehawk

Veteran
Recording a person demonstrating a procedure as he explains the steps.
Need to put subtitles on the screen so the viewer can follow the instructions of the finished video without audio. I don't need actual close captioning as in verbatim what the guy says but I need a way to quickly generate text from what he is saying so I can edit it down to just what the viewer really needs to read. He will say extra words that the viewer does not need to see.

Example I might need the final on-screen text to just say "first push the blue button" but the demonstrator actually said "well, here we go, it's a nice day, let's first push this big blue button blah blah right here..."

Any ideas?
 
If the video is going up on any modern video sharing platform, maybe let it do it (most automatically do it now) and edit those results in the settings of the video.

That would probably be your best bet because this sounds like very manual editing and no one's going to know how you want it to look/sound/what you want to cut out, but you.
 
Thank you

Re: sharing platform. This seems like a great way to get subs on the video for the viewer. But unless I don't understand, I don't see a good way to for me to edit what was really said into what I want the text to say for the finished video files I give them?

Re: resolve. I didn't realize that. I'm 1 version behind. Would be well worth buying the new version if it can do it. Other issue is the audio will not be clean since there will be background factory noise. and I'll have to learn Resolve
 
Note captioning is done in two distinct ways the first is it's actually burned into the video. The benefit of this is that it will work no matter how it is distributed. The down side is if you need different languages and there is no way to turn it off. The other method is more complicated a text file needs to be formatted in a particular way to adhere to a standard for the required captioning method. What you're describing is more like custom overlays describing what's happening. This can be created in any editing software using lower 3rds overlays.
 
Right. I'm not talking about real captioning, but custom overlays describing what is happening
thanks the better description.
I'm just trying to determine a faster method than listening to the guy talk and manually typing but that may be as fast as any method
 
With the online video platforms, they would transcribe everything that is said as best as the AI could understand and then you'd edit that later.

That text usually needs to be turned on by the viewer (like pressing the CC button on YouTube), so if you want the text on no matter what then you have to do the work yourself inside of an editing program like via Resolve's method mentioned above, or a third-party plugin for something else. I think you use Premiere so maybe Google transcription/transcribing plugins and see what/if anything is out there (must be).
 
thanks again. Yes I want the text instructions on-screen burned into the finished video file. I was hoping there was some way to grab text via AI from what the instructor actually says into editable text so I could shorten it down to what I want to actually appear on screen as instructions to the viewer.
yes I use premiere CS6 but haven't found any plugins yet so considering alternatives
 
Back
Top