Cinemadng workflow

David Evans

Well-known member
Hi,

Anyone experienced with cinemadng raw files editing in Premiere? What is the recommended workflow? I never used Adobe After Effects, is it the best way? I also heard about Cine Form GoPro Studio Premium. Any ideas and, hopefully, some tutorials? :)

I'm assuming it's necessary to have some kind of software besides Premiere, cause Premiere itself can't handle raw files the way we need it to...

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I think my computer must need formatting. I have a very good computer, but lately it's been dragging. I was able to download some pluggin that makes Premiere Pro take CinemaDNG but I coudn't get any decent playback. Even after encodingm the video was terrible. I was also looking for an opinion. Do I need CinemaDNG to color grade without loss of quality or is ProRes ok for that?

thanks
 
Premiere debayer quality is mediocre at best for CDNG. You also need at least a separate dedicated fast media drive, 7200rpm hard drive or SSD, to transfer data fast enough for real time playback. Raid 0, 5, 10 is better. You will run into speed issues trying to edit off of the system drive due to ram buffering to a page file. You can edit from Prores light proxies and finish grade from the raw originals in AE, or Speedgrade using Adobe camera raw ,or in Resolve if your computer will run it,for best quality.
If you are on a PC, Raw4Pro is a great way to offload and backup camera media and transcode to proxies or high quality intermediates in Prores , DNXHD, Cineform raw.
 
Premiere debayer quality is mediocre at best for CDNG. You also need at least a separate dedicated fast media drive, 7200rpm hard drive or SSD, to transfer data fast enough for real time playback. Raid 0, 5, 10 is better. You will run into speed issues trying to edit off of the system drive due to ram buffering to a page file. You can edit from Prores light proxies and finish grade from the raw originals in AE, or Speedgrade using Adobe camera raw ,or in Resolve if your computer will run it,for best quality.
If you are on a PC, Raw4Pro is a great way to offload and backup camera media and transcode to proxies or high quality intermediates in Prores , DNXHD, Cineform raw.

Thanks for your help! I'm renting a BMCC this weekend and i know i can record on raw or prores. My question is: if i record on prores, will i be able to cc the footage as needed or is it better to grade a cdng and only at the end, export to prores?

thanks
 
RAW does offer a certain freedom and flexibility that even ProRes can't match. But it also presents certain challenges that other formats don't. However, opening in PP should not be one of them. As far as I know, the current version of PP works just fine with CinemaDNG from the BMCC.

Having said all that, you should definitely test the production chain using that format before you shoot. Do not shoot first and hope for the best later!
 
Prores from a BMCC with the BMDfilm log recording is very gradable, but it is not nearly as rich and flexible as the full 12bit CDNG raw. If you are used to shooting and processing raw stills with digital cameras, CDNG is pretty much the same, just a lot more frames.
 
Back
Top