Cineform VA AVCHD

offbeatbryce

Well-known member
Hello,

I just got a windows 10 PC. It has a Xeon Processor, 16GB of Ram, Quardom4000 Graphics Card with 8GB of Video Memory.

Is there any point to transcoding AVCHD footage with this type of PC? This thing is wicked fast but I read that it's still recommended to transcode because Cineform is easier on faster machines.

Is there really any difference between AVCHD and Cineform? I'm also a little stumped because I read there is a 129 dollar version of Cineform and wondering if that's any better than the free codec that comes with Premiere?

Thanks,

Bryce
 
Cineform is easier to edit. Depending on your machine, this can become evident with normal editing, or not until you start adding lots of effects. It's really editor's choice whether you use it or not.

The included Cineform codec is sufficient. Don't spend any money on this.
 
Cineform is easier to edit. Depending on your machine, this can become evident with normal editing, or not until you start adding lots of effects. It's really editor's choice whether you use it or not.

The included Cineform codec is sufficient. Don't spend any money on this.

Thanks,

I can apply 4 Lumetri Color corrections, The Warp Stabalizer, and lots of transitions, Multi Cam work etc and the computer never slows down at all and that's all in AVCHD. Do I need to transcode then?
 
I was also wondering if I made a Proxy from my .mts files that was in SD at super low quality if that would be faster with Render times than say transcoding all my footage to Cineform? I've done a few tests and AVCHD and Cineform are pretty close in terms of render times. Is it worth it to make a SD proxy and edit with that then switch to Full Quality .MTS files for export?
 
Back
Top